• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Banned from old job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ishbeme23

Texas.
I was working at a sports bar and recently got hired to work at a new bar & grill. They made me decide where to work and I choose the bar & grill because they were paying more. They banned me from entering the sports bar. Because supposedly I was stealing their people. Which the waitress that used to work there is now a bartender at the new bar & grill but she quit and asked me if they were hiring and a cook quit because of the GM that banned me and started working where I'm at. Was it right for him to ban me? If not, what could I possibly do about it?

Proserpina

Texas.
I was working at a sports bar and recently got hired to work at a new bar & grill. They made me decide where to work and I choose the bar & grill because they were paying more. They banned me from entering the sports bar. Because supposedly I was stealing their people. Which the waitress that used to work there is now a bartender at the new bar & grill but she quit and asked me if they were hiring and a cook quit because of the GM that banned me and started working where I'm at. Was it right for him to ban me? If not, what could I possibly do about it?

It's not illegal, and that's really the only question.

commentator

Their business = their business. This is not anything that would be prohibited by law. If they wanted to, they could've fired you for poaching their people, whether or not you really were. There aren't any labor laws expressly forbidding it, so it's not illegal and there is nothing you can do except go somewhere else if you do not like how they are treating you here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether it was "right" is a matter of subjective opinion.

But I suspect what you really wanted to ask is, was it legal.

Yes, it was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">