• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Threatened by Cop at Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beingbullied

I am the manager in for a small municipality. I have been experiencing threats and intimidation from the Chief of Police. This stems from his not being in control and having to report to me. I have documented this behavior over the last several months and filed written complaints with the elected officials board. As of now, they have not done anything to aid my situation.

His behavior is a growing concern for me and my safety. This man has been the subject of sexual harrassment lawsuits, EEOC charges, and civil suits filed by residents who felt they were being intimidated and sought ACLU representation.

I do not feel safe at work and have a concern for what this man could possibly do. I left work after the most recent incident about a week ago and only returned one day when I knew he was not at work and then over the weekend when the office was closed to perform some necessary tasks.

My problem is I do not know where to turn for help. I have contacted the ACLU... no help as I had anticipated, the EEOC... have gotten no response, the FBI... didn't seem to be overly interested. I obviously cannot call the police in this instance and because of potential conflicts find it less than appealing to call the District Attorney or the county Sheriff.

Where do I turn for help?

Also, what is reasonable action to expect from my government employer in this matter?

Thanks in advance from Pennsylvania

Beth3

You apparently are the Chief's boss. What prevents you from firing him for all the behaviors you mention?

beingbullied

Yes, I am technically his superior, but when it comes to actions of hiring/firing/discipline it is the elected officials who make that decision.

They have been notified in writing over the course of the last year of these instances and have not acted upon it as of now.

Beth3

What you really are in need of is advice and information how to go about removing the Chief from his position and/or terminating him and that's not anything anyone here can advise you on as it depends completely on whatevever rules and regulations your municipality has for something like that. We don't even know if the Chief is an "at will" employee or has some entitlement to due process since he is a public sector employee.

What I can tell you is that the Chief's actions towards you has nothing to do with any employment laws. The EEOC only handles claims of prohibited discrimination so they have no role to play in this situation. I don't see how the ACLU would have anything to do with this either. The truth is that your employer has almost no legal resposibility to protect you from threatening behavior from a co-worker or subordinate.

If the municipality has a city attorney they employ (or an attorney on retainer), then you may well wish to discuss the situation with him or her. If you're unwilling to discuss possible criminal harassment charges against the Chief's with the DA (regarding the threats he's made to you), you may be tying your hands. I also suggest you start talking to the appropriate elected officials in person about the situation and see if you can elicit their support to address the problem. Merely filing written complaints isn't getting you anywhere and isn't likely to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">