• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bonuses Based (in part) on Hiring/Promoting Minorities/Women

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because there are parts of your last post with which I agree, I will explain to you why the forum as a whole does not like to answer hypotheticals.

First, with a hypothetical situation there are no solid facts. They are what the poster decides they are. But details matter; they matter a lot. People are inclined to decide from a similar situation what will happen with them, and then are surprised when it does not because the details were different. It doesn't need to be a major detail - even a minor one can create a material change in the result. Since the volunteers have limited time in which to answer as many questions as they can, they don't like to answer a question for which they might have to put in some research, and then which turns out not to be grounded in fact at all.

The other reason is referenced above. We DO have limited time to put into answering these questions, and to research the ones we have to research. Most of us would prefer to spend that time answering the real questions of real people with real problems, rather than the hypothetical wonderings of someone who just wants to know for the sake of argument.

And we most certainly do not like to do the research for students, who should be doing it themselves. They're not learning anything, and then they get graded for the work someone else did.

Your original question was presented with no anchoring facts; simply a question in a vacuum with nothing to show that it was actually happening. It was asked in the same format that a great many homework questions have been asked. That is not what we are here for.

Your original question did not have enough specific details to give you anything resembling a definite answer - or at least, an answer that would affect your overall situation. The answer to your question is Yes, there are such laws. That is the literal answer to the question you asked. However, whether those laws would apply in your situation and whether they would be applicable to a discrimination suit, requires FAR more information than your original question provided - as would whether or not those laws would support the employees or the employer. Yes, it IS possible, given the right set of facts, that the laws in question would provide a DEFENSE to a discrimination suit. But you didn't give us any facts, so we don't know if the laws apply at all or which side they would favor.

Bet you weren't expecting that, were you?

Now, that's far more information that your initial question deserves, under the circumstances and taking your later attitude into account. A description of the laws in question can be found elsewhere on this website. I know because I'm the one who put them there some years ago.

And I'm done here.

ivanl3

Actually, Yes is the answer I thought to be correct. No, I did not expect to get that answer here. I expected to get exactly what I got -- games and sarcasm (at least until now).

As for all the other questions you allude to, that I might also be curious about, thanks but no thanks. I was only interested in the answer to the question I posed. Thank you for answering it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're welcome.

Please do not forget that such laws could very well provide a valid defense to a discrimination suit, and would not necessarily support the employee. That's a very important point - much more so than the obviously self-evident point that such laws exist. Anyone with a room temperature IQ could figure that much out.

OHRoadwarrior

Though much more informative, it was easier just tell OP it depended on whether you were the bug or the windshield.

Because there are parts of your last post with which I agree, I will explain to you why the forum as a whole does not like to answer hypotheticals.

First, with a hypothetical situation there are no solid facts. They are what the poster decides they are. But details matter; they matter a lot. People are inclined to decide from a similar situation what will happen with them, and then are surprised when it does not because the details were different. It doesn't need to be a major detail - even a minor one can create a material change in the result. Since the volunteers have limited time in which to answer as many questions as they can, they don't like to answer a question for which they might have to put in some research, and then which turns out not to be grounded in fact at all.

The other reason is referenced above. We DO have limited time to put into answering these questions, and to research the ones we have to research. Most of us would prefer to spend that time answering the real questions of real people with real problems, rather than the hypothetical wonderings of someone who just wants to know for the sake of argument.

And we most certainly do not like to do the research for students, who should be doing it themselves. They're not learning anything, and then they get graded for the work someone else did.

Your original question was presented with no anchoring facts; simply a question in a vacuum with nothing to show that it was actually happening. It was asked in the same format that a great many homework questions have been asked. That is not what we are here for.

Your original question did not have enough specific details to give you anything resembling a definite answer - or at least, an answer that would affect your overall situation. The answer to your question is Yes, there are such laws. That is the literal answer to the question you asked. However, whether those laws would apply in your situation and whether they would be applicable to a discrimination suit, requires FAR more information than your original question provided - as would whether or not those laws would support the employees or the employer. Yes, it IS possible, given the right set of facts, that the laws in question would provide a DEFENSE to a discrimination suit. But you didn't give us any facts, so we don't know if the laws apply at all or which side they would favor.

Now, that's far more information that your initial question deserves, under the circumstances and taking your later attitude into account. A description of the laws in question can be found elsewhere on this website. I know because I'm the one who put them there some years ago.

And I'm done here.

ivanl3

But which answer made him go away? ;)
Yep, just think if someone would have you responded with a one word answer of "yes" to the OP, all this could have been avoided.

There's a lesson in there for you scholars....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">