• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

BOP and Border Patrol Hiring practices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jimmydewrag1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

How can the BOP and Border Patrol violate Federal rules on hiring individuals or not hiring individuals based upon age limits? If private employers cannot place limits on someones age they hire how can these Agencies put a cap on hiring based on age at 37-40 yrs of age except for being a veteran? Should that not be age discrimination? Do I have a case to sue the Government or these agencies based on Federal discrimination laws?

Thank You for any information passed along to me.
JH

CdwJava

The age restriction has to do with their retirement system. It's not age-ism, per se, it is based upon a practical application of their retirement system and mandatory retirement as I understand it.

I have looked into teaching positions with the feds and have found that I am too old to be employed even for positions that do not require any sort of physical acumen as it is their retirement system and not about age and/or health.

As I understand it, however, there ARE positions that do not have the age restriction ... I just may not have been looking for them. Many or all ofthe public safety spots do have these restrictions.

Last edited:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

How can the BOP and Border Patrol violate Federal rules on hiring individuals or not hiring individuals based upon age limits? If private employers cannot place limits on someones age they hire how can these Agencies put a cap on hiring based on age at 37-40 yrs of age except for being a veteran? Should that not be age discrimination? Do I have a case to sue the Government or these agencies based on Federal discrimination laws?

Thank You for any information passed along to me.
JH
The military also has a age limit, due to the physical demands of the job. I see it as no difference than a job that has minimum education or experience requirements.

Jimmydewrag1

The age restriction has to do with their retirement system. It's not age-ism, per se, it is based upon a practical application of their retirement system and mandatory retirement as I understand it.

I have looked into teaching positions with the feds and have found that I am too old to be employed even for positions that do not require any sort of physical acumen as it is their retirement system and not about age and/or health.

As I understand it, however, there ARE positions that do not have the age restriction ... I just may not have been looking for them. Many or all ofthe public safety spots do have these restrictions.
Ok, now that makes sense,but that is dumb,they need help and they can't put you on even in a non retirement job or short of a retirement situation. There has to be a way around that.

Jimmydewrag1

The military also has a age limit, due to the physical demands of the job. I see it as no difference than a job that has minimum education or experience requirements.
I don't understand that neither. I figure if they need help and here I am they should accept me until I show I could not hack the job or the training. At least give somebody a shot. Just sayin

eerelations

Hmmm...I would say that your spelling, grammar, punctuation and writing style would probably limit your options for any kind of law enforcement position...and such limitation would be perfectly legal.

commentator

I can't help but think of that older gentleman they were letting go around armed with the police in that town somewhere and his, "Ooops, I shot him!" comment. Maybe that's the kind of shot this OP is looking for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">