• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss is hostile after miscarriages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Havequestion80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

In November 2013 I fell pregnant and missed a day or two of work using PTOs as I had a miscarriage which required surgery. I had told my boss why I needed the time off and it was a non issue.

Fast forward to January 2014 I was promoted to a new position and have a new boss. I am not involved in HR however I report to the director of HR. Well two weeks ago I found out I was pregnant again and used my lunch hour to go to the doctor to give blood. I found out the next day that the blood count was bad and again had complications. I was very upset and went to her to ask if I could use .5 PTO to go home. She asked if I was pregnant again. As it turns out my previous boss had told her about my prior pregnancy/loss so she guessed that was the reason. I said yes I am but it's not looking good. She asked what was going on in regards to the pregnancy and I told her and then left for the day.

The following Monday I started bleeding heavily and asked if I could work the rest of the day at home. Other people in my position work from home once a week on a regular basis so I didn't think it would be a big deal. She was upset and said she needs me here. She then said that my supervisors have noticed that I am distracted and that I am not wearing makeup and she's worried I am not performing. I said that all of my work is getting done and she went on about how she needs me here at work but if I really need to leave then do so.

So then over the course of a week since the bleeding I had 3 doctors appointments which I made up for by working through lunch and staying late. I also had to take a full day of work off on Friday using 1 PTO as I needed surgery to remove the failed pregnancy.

Over the course of that week, whenever I would tell her that I had a dr appointment, she has made me feel incredibly uncomfortable at work. She said that my supervisors didn't sign up for these types of problems, that she's worried I am not emotionally stable or really present at work, she said that work isn't getting done (but it is 100% getting done), that I cannot be taking time off for appointments because she has a business to run and really just berated me for it. She also said she hopes this is the end of these problems and that things are smooth sailing going forward which I take as a threat not to get pregnant again or go to the dr again.

Then this week someone from a different department approached me and said she was sorry for what I am going through and she can't believe my boss is treating me this way. As it turns out my boss has been complaining to other department heads about my situation who then told this woman.

Do I have and legal recourse? This is a bad situation because she is director of HR and there is no one else above her I can go to. I feel now that my job is at risk and honestly I want to quit because I am so uncomfortable now.

Proserpina

I'm sorry for your losses, but your employer doesn't have to treat you kindly (or even fairly, so long as the law is followed).

It's not illegal to be a craptacular boss, unfortunately.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How large an employer is this and how long, in total, have you worked there?

commentator

For heaven's sake, DO NOT QUIT! If nothing else, they have to give you the time off if you qualify for FMLA. And it would seem that this employer is treading on dangerous ground with all the hard time she is giving you, discussing your situation with everyone in the world, and so forth. Yes, it's not illegal to be a crap-delivering boss, but when she treads into the ground of giving you a lot of crap about pregnancy and health issues related to pregnancy, that get's a bit unsafe for her, as far as being an EEOC violation, treating you poorly due to an EEOC/gender related situation.

Truly, she's not close to that line yet, but keep it in mind. There are some limits here.

But think about it, if she can be generally hateful to you a few times, growl that she "needs you here" when you really need to be at home, and you run off and quit with your tail between your legs, you get nothing. You have no job, you get no unemployment (because you did not quit your job for a valid job related serious reason) and you will not be able to use sick leave. And by the way, is your insurance through this company? Why would you let them take that away from you? With COBRA you pay dearly for that continued coverage.

Grow a thick skin. Be polite, professional, and document exactly what happens, each interchange you have with this supervisor. If you need to take more time off, do so. Inform her that you will be happy to provide her with medical excuses if she acts like, "No you really can't take leave, I need you here!" Don't worry about it if they don't let you work from home, even if they let others. They do not have to be "Fair." They do not have to be nice to you or sympathetic to you.

But their disapproval is no reason for you to run away whimpering. You are an Army of One, you need to do what is best for you and your family, the children you may have.

You may want to be looking for another job, since this person you work for doesn't sound very nice, but DO NOT quit your job until you are ready to do so. Don't let her threaten you, don't curl up and die at the slightest criticism. If you know you are doing a good job, you need to let that be what you realize and don't take all your feedback from this person. Remember, professionalism. It's not really her business what's going on with you health wise, as long as you follow the recommended procedures for being off when you need to be.

Get to understanding FMLA, and discover exactly what your rights are, as far as being out of work for medical reasons. Are there more than 50 people who work for this company? And you've been there a year? You're going to be protected by FMLA. You can be out for medical reasons. They have to ...well, go on, read the law.

Whatever you do, don't quit! It's a long long way from being not too nice to you to actually firing you, and you need the income and experience you'll get before that bridge is to be crossed. If you were fired for this sort of reason that she's giving you grief over, an EEOC complaint might be a very real consideration. I bet she knows this. Frankly, I think she's bluffing, trying to see if you'll just leave. I do not think your job is at risk, she's just a bully and a jerk. Don't let her win this easily.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">