• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breakroom Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

locke

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

This one is going to sound a bit childish and silly but it has become an issue that needs resolved.

My mother's employeer has refused access to the breakroom to anyone who is not willing to take a turn cleaning up the breakroom.

This mandate was passed down only because of the mess being left in the breakroom after lunches by some, not all, of the employees who use the room. My mother's point is that she's not anyone's keeper and cleans up her own mess after she eats (not that she is a messy eater, but she will throw her own trash away, etc.)

Mom has stopped eating lunch in the breakroom all together but would like to be able to fill up her water bottle sometimes. She is not allowed to do this because she refuses to clean up everyone else's mess just to get to the water. There is no water fountain available and only the bathroom sink is available for re-fills. (Not a very smart place to re-fill)

Is there any laws or rulings that she could present to her employeer so that they lift the ban on the kitchen sink?

IAAL, I would love your take on this as you have helped me in the past with a auto accident I was in several years ago now.

I would also appreciate anyone else's thoughts on this as well. Thanks for your time!

M

mixtim

I don't see anything wrong with this. The employer doesn't have to provide a "break room" to begin with. Furthermore, they are not excluding people from it on a prohibited basis. Advise Mom to keep her water someplace else if she doesn't want to clean up after everyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">