• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breastfeeding in the Workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MadameCatIndy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Indiana

I recently went back to work after having a child. I am breastfeeding and need to pump at work. My employer is making me do so in the public restroom...they have run an extension cord to the public restroom. I am wondering if this is legal for them to do. I have heard that a recent Indiana law requires an employer to provide a private place to pump not allowing to make the employee use the public restroom. Any advise is welcome :confused:

mlane58

Indiana law protects breastfeeding in the workplace. The law applies to businesses with 25or more employees.
Chapter 14. Employee Breaks
Sec. 1. As used in this chapter, “employer” means a person or entity that employs twenty-five (25) or more employees.
Sec. 2. (a) To the extent reasonably possible, an employer shall provide a private location, other than a toilet stall, where an employee can express the employee’s breast milk in privacy during any period away from the employee’s assigned duties.
(b) To the extent reasonably possible, an employer shall:
(1) provide a refrigerator or other cold storage space for keeping milk that has been expressed; or
(2) allow the employee to provide the employee’s own portable cold storage device for keeping milk that has been expressed until the end of the employee’s work day.
(c) Except in cases of willful misconduct, gross negligence, or bad faith, an employer is not liable for any harm caused by or arising from either of the following that occur on the employer’s premises:
(1) The expressing of an employee’s breast milk.
(2) The storage of expressed milk.

ecmst12

"To the extent reasonably possible" is a key phrase here. Is there another space available at your office where you could have privacy?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">