• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bully boss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

miserable90

What is the name of your state? GA

I have been working for the same company for over 2 years. About 6 months ago I was transferred to another department within the company. Since my transfer, I have been subjected to verbal abuse and harassment from one of my supervisors. I am the fourth secretary she has had in less than 2 years. She constantly criticizes, demeans and belittles me. She only does this when she calls me into her office. Several co-workers have overheard and reported her to management who have talked to her. I have complained numerous times to management and even have documentation regarding her behavior toward me (incidents, emails, etc). I am now seeking the advice of a therapist because of the treatment I receive at work and job-related stress. I know I don't have any legal recourse for harassment and she has not broken any laws. Is it wise to file a grievance with HR? I recently received a poor evaluation from this supervisor. Out of 5 supervisors, hers was the only poor rating on my evaluation in all areas. My previous evaluation was very good. I brought this to the attention of management and they didn't seem concerned. I know that I am going to be fired very soon. Please help with any comments. I do not want to quit work because that is what she wants. What should I do? How do you handle a bully boss??

Beth3

When you have a bully boss, you have three options: (1) put up with it; (2) complain to management and hope they'll do something about her; or (3) look for another job.

Now as to the best course of action, putting up with it isn't a good choice as her behavior is clearly taking a toll on you. I do suggest you speak to HR and tell them how bad it is. Whether anyone will effect a solution is unknown. Given how many secretaries she's been through, management probably knows what a witch she is and for whatever reason, your boss's boss has elected not to deal with the situation, at least so far. Your best option is to start looking for another job. Ask HR about the possibility of a transfer to another position and look externally as well. Saying you don't want to quit because that's what she wants is foolish. To hell with her - you need to take care of yourself. Why should it matter one iota what she wants? The best thing you can do is find another job as quickly as possible and turn in your resignation. Waiting around to be fired isn't a smart move.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">