• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bullying boss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

INFLOATER

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WASHINGTON
I worked for the same company for almost 10 yrs and never had any problems. Then I was transferred to a new department in which the supervisor was constantly harrassing me. Constantly questioning every move I made. Told me to clock in and out if I was going to cough or blow my nose due to a cold. I started having severe panic attacks, could not sleep at night and terrible stomach problems due to the stress of the bullying. I filed for FMLA and went to my doctor for help. Two days later I was fired and now being denied unemployment benefits due to her lies. Is there a law against such intimidating behavior.

mlane58

No, unless that behavior is because of your race, gender, age, religion, etc.... then your boss is just a world class idiot.

commentator

What is the status of your unemployment claim? If it has been initially denied, and you are going to have a hearing in the future, you need to continue filing for weeks of benefits. If you have not appealed the decision denying you benefits, you need to do so immediately. You have 15 days from the date of the denial to do this, and you'll need to, because probably unemployment insurance is your only recourse in this situation.

Harrassment by a supervisor such as you describe is not going to be considered an EEOC violation, in my reading. It sounds as though you let yourself be mentally harrassed, stressed out. But you did not quit, they fired you. That's good for your side.

The issue with the unemployment insurance is did you have any prior write ups or warnings that your job was in jeopardy from whatever this issue that they said they fired you for was? If not, then she can lie till her face turns blue, but she probably can't keep you from drawing unemployment. Your word is as good as hers in this situation. Was your termination for absenteeism? If so, did you have a doctor's excuse for your last absence? Then you should be approved eventually. Is it illegal forher to try to keep you from receiving benefits? Not really.

My best suggestion would be that you pursue this avenue until you find another job. Because yes, it was legal for her to do this to you. Being mean to an employee isn't really illegal.

Possibly, firing an employee immediately after they have filed for FMLA might be another case. Someone else here in the know can probably help you with that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">