• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On call compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jama clevenger

What is the name of your state? IN
All employees were issued a pager. Our worked slowed down, and we were "on call". I was hired in on first shift, and always worked that, until now. We are required to respond to a page, within less than 30 minutes. If we don't we will have a note to file and most likely not be paged again. They have people that were hired in as their 2nd shift, they do not have their 90 days in, and unlike several of us, they are not ISO certified. I have been called to a job, I was to help relieve a first shift crew. When I arrived, one of the 2nd shift, new employees was called for that shift. I was not paged prior to 2 pm. My question is how can we be reprimanded for not responding to a page, but yet, not be compensated for having to carry it at all times? I'm an hourly employee, hired for day shift hours, Mon thru Fri. They don't equal out the hours they do get, and get upset with someone who isn't able to report to an off shift, and have less that 20 minutes to get there.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether on-call time must be compensated is highly fact and state specific. The only ones who could give you a definite answer would be your state DOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">