• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is calling my work "Gay" harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

knellinger

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? colorado

I was working on a project and my boss said it was "too gay" and i must be "drunk" if i didnt think the same

About a week later I had been feeling uncomfortable at work and spoke to my boss about this issue.
He only replied "well its true" and laughed at me

In the following week he held a meeting when I was not at the office.
He told my fellow employees about my complaint and told everyone that I was too sensitive and explained that "if your that sensitive you should go work somewhere else"

I found out about this 3 days ago and can not even go into work anymore because I feel so uncomfortable....

Is this Legal? Thank you for the help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not illegal.

The word "gay" has taken on still another meaning of late. (It used to have quite a different definition, not at all related to homosexuality.) Your boss was telling you that in his opinion, your work was poorly done and he was surprised that you didn't agree. He was rude about it, yes, but rudeness is not illegal harassment.

commentator

Please, get yourself back to work. Because you got your feelings hurt is NOT going to be considered any sort of valid work related good reason to quit the job for unemployment purposes. So by using a derogatory term to refer to your work, one which is common in junior high circles, your employer has destroyed your life and your sense of well being, etc.? So that you can't even go back to work and face them? Come on.

Before any sort of lawsuit or complaint with EEOC could even begin to be an issue, there would have to be a pervasive pattern of discrimination established. Calling your work "gay" once, not even calling you that personally, just isn't enough for you to have a clear cut pattern of harassment. Not to mention enough of a valid work related reason to quit your job and be approved for unemployment benefits. They'd ask, "What did you do to try to resolve the situation before quitting?" And you could have answered something like, " I told the employer I didn't think that was a nice thing to say, and in the future they shouldn't say such things to me."Why didn't you just do that anyhow?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">