• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can coworker record me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gasera91

I live in and work in washington, DC. A coworker of mine accused me of stealing his headphones after I spent a year and half asking him to stop saying racist things & then went to my immediate supervisor. Now he has a camera facing my desk and is watching me all the time. Is this legal? It feels like molestation. I do not feel comfortable. Human resources, office manager and my immediate supervisor are all aware of the camera. Is there any legal way for me to make him stop recording me?

Also only turns on the cameras when hes not at his desk... so ill be in alone in the office... eatting, praying, working, dancing, socializing with coworkers, on the phone with clients and changing... & hes watching it all... I know about the wiretaping law... but I am on the verge of quitting or going to human resources and begging them to fire me...

LdiJ

I live in and work in washington, DC. A coworker of mine accused me of stealing his headphones after I spent a year and half asking him to stop saying racist things & then went to my immediate supervisor. Now he has a camera facing my desk and is watching me all the time. Is this legal? It feels like molestation. I do not feel comfortable. Human resources, office manager and my immediate supervisor are all aware of the camera. Is there any legal way for me to make him stop recording me?

Also only turns on the cameras when hes not at his desk... so ill be in alone in the office... eatting, praying, working, dancing, socializing with coworkers, on the phone with clients and changing... & hes watching it all... I know about the wiretaping law... but I am on the verge of quitting or going to human resources and begging them to fire me...
Before you go that far, you should at least speak to human resources and make them aware of just how uncomfortable you are with him videotaping you. That you feel violated.

In the meantime, when he is away from the office just turn his camera away from you.

justalayman

Is he recording audio?

Make a little blocking screen (piece of carboard folded so it stands up) and when he leaves, set it in front of the camera. Make a bunch of them so as he throws one away, you have a replacement. I would avoid actually touching the camera as it may allow him to claim you damaged his camera.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
j/k makes a valid point; whether he is recording audio or not matters to the legality.

But the employer can require that he take the camera down, even if it is legal. Please take note of the fact that if it is legal, they CAN require him to take it down - they don't HAVE to require him to take it down.

So, is he recording audio or not?

adjusterjack

I am on the verge of quitting or going to human resources and begging them to fire me...
Incredibly bad idea and you'll be doing exactly what your co-worker wants you to do. Begging to be fired is the equivalent of quitting so you won't likely be eligible for UI.

What he is doing is legal and apparently has the tacit consent of your employers which probably means that your employers are either aholes or don't like you either. HR won't help you. HR works for the bosses.

I suggest you find another (better) job, then quit, and you'll have the last laugh.

Meantime, several simple suggestions have been made to help you stymie the co-worker.

You might even put up your own camera and point it at him. Webcams are cheap.

Gasera91

Its a hidden camera... apparently hes been recording me for the past few months... he thought I threw a hankercheif on his desk so then he said "someone is messing with me and I am going to get them on my camera", speaking to another coworker... he also told my supervisor & human resources... I told them that it scares me that he does that... especially since he admits to bringing guns to work but they wont do anything...

LdiJ

Its a hidden camera... apparently hes been recording me for the past few months... he thought I threw a hankercheif on his desk so then he said "someone is messing with me and I am going to get them on my camera", speaking to another coworker... he also told my supervisor & human resources... I told them that it scares me that he does that... especially since he admits to bringing guns to work but they wont do anything...
If he is bringing guns to work then I suggest that you find another job ASAP and inform HR in your exit interview that you are leaving because of his video taping and the fact that he is bringing guns to work.

eerelations

If he is bringing guns to work then I suggest that you find another job ASAP and inform HR in your exit interview that you are leaving because of his video taping and the fact that he is bringing guns to work.
I'm just waiting for the next revelation...

adjusterjack

Hidden camera, guns to work, employer does nothing.

Are you sure you aren't being gaslighted and developing severe paranoia along the way?

In other words, maybe there's no camera and no guns, he's just saying that stuff to make you crazy and your employers are just smirking at you in private because they think that your allegations are crazy.

Do you hear noises in the attic, too?

Just Blue

Are you sure you aren't being gaslighted and developing severe paranoia along the way?

In other words, maybe there's no camera and no guns, he's just saying that stuff to make you crazy and your employers are just smirking at you in private because they think that your allegations are crazy.

;)

Gasera91

Funny... you saying it like that really makes it sound like a telenovela... but everyones reaction to the whole situation is very odd... no one really cares... when I went to HR she said 'if it makes you feel better, he only has the camera on when hes not at his desk'... since I work 50+ hours a week, thats too much time... I had to beg to move yesterday...
& he said when I 1st started working there, 2 years ago, he brings a gun anywhere he can... so the gun is something I assume since I am afraid, but a knife is for sure... everyone seen it...

Also, I am a black women with 3 degrees... this man has done the most offensive things but no one cares they all say "oh thats just --"
Example of things
1) immigrants are coming to this country and taking food out of the good white mans mouth
2) all black people only get into college because of affirmitive action
3) women working is causing an increase in criminal activity

I asked him to please stop and he started with me...

Gasera91

Also HR promised to move him, but he still sits directly behind me... I am just going to take the next few days off...

I want to get the authorities involved but I feel like thats a waste of their time... but thanks everyone for making me realize how crazy this situation is...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">