• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he do that?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

samanthak

What is the name of your state? California

I work Part-Time for a City Government

Two and a half years ago, I had a disagreement with a co-worker. We both talked it out with our immediate supervisor present and the matter was settled. She said she would not include it in our personnel files and I thought that was the end of it.
Fast forward to today: Without my knowledge, my husband sent an email to the City Council conveying his opposition that my position was being changed to Full-Time. He also asked my brother and his sister to send similar emails to Council. These emails were forwarded to the Director of my department. He subsequently reprimanded me and accused me of "masterminding" the event. He then brought up the fact that he did not feel I was a team player and referred to the previous incident with my co-worker, He then demanded I write a statement of exactly what transpired with the emails, but kept asking me to make several changes every time it was submitted. I felt coerced into writing this statement.

He then wrote a leter, which is going in my file, referring to the email incident in which he accused me of having not only prior knowledge, but of encouraging family members to write them. He also included the incident from two and a half years ago. These events are not even linked together.

Question: Can he address the incident with my co-worker after so much time has passed and we thought it had been put to bed and he has never mentioned it to me before? How can he link these two separate events in one letter and put it in my file?

And, can he accuse me of doing something that never happened? He has no grounds and it is simpy conjecture on his part. How can that be made part of my file? He also added that he, other management and staff can no longer trust me. I feel he is making it difficult for me to come and concentrate on my work everday.

Beth3

The answer to all your questions is "yes." Because you are a government employee, you *may* have some due process you are entitled to that allows you to grieve your boss's decision but he hasn't done anything illegal.

Your husband, brother and sister are NOT parties in your employment relationship and no employer would be pleased to receive e-mails such as as they sent, especially in this instance to the City Council. Of course your boss is pissed-off and it's not unreasonable for him to assume that you had a hand in this, as it's unlikely anyone's spouse would have done this without at least the knowledge of the other, much less their consent.

If you want to be angry with anyone, be upset with your husband. He completely overstepped appropriate boundaries here and landed you in the soup.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">