• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I sue a company for discrimination but?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

round 1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I left my past employer because of failure to prevent discrimination towards me? The only thing us that I no longer live in that area.. I was in southern Cali but I've since moved to northern Cali..i'm a white make and I was subjected to it almost everyday n I even have text messages from a supervisor calling me racial names..is it possible?

justalayman

did you ever file a written complaint concerning the issue?
How long ago did you leave the employer?

what do you expect as a result?

round 1

did you ever file a written complaint concerning the issue?
How long ago did you leave the employer?

what do you expect as a result?

No I never did but I did file for unemployment n they tried to say I did a no call no show but in my complaint to unemployment I explained to them what had happened n I was told by unemployment that they would call my past employer about what I had complained about n I was awarded unemployment..so does that mean they took responsibility for their actions? Oh by the way I just left there in October of this year

justalayman

I asked nothing about unemployment. I asked if you ever filed a written complaint. So did you file a written complaint to either to the HR department, or any other entity within the company or to any governmental agency.

and what do you expect as an outcome of making an issue of the issue now?

thanks cbg

swalsh411

Whatever happened in your unemployment claim means nothing.

The short answer is that you will not succeed because you never even tried to correct the problem internally.

round 1

I asked nothing about unemployment. I asked if you ever filed a written complaint. So did you file a written complaint to either to the HR department, or any other entity within the company or to any governmental agency.

and what do you expect as an outcome of making an issue of the issue now?

thanks cbg

No I never did..I never knew the procedure but I did text my other supervisor voicing my concerns...n they did respond..but no I never actually told hr

commentator

Nope, what happens in unemployment insurance stays there. What was determined in U.I. was that you were out of work through no fault of your own, and you were not terminated for a valid misconduct reason.

If you were discriminated against, it would need to be taken up by the EEOC, and as you never tried to complain or give the company any idea there was a problem, they had no opportunity to fix the problem, and that's exactly what they'd tell any EEOC investigator, and there would be no case.

It's only a good case when the company has refused to fix an on going problem such as discrimination, which usually does NOT apply to white males under 40 anyway, you're not exactly a commonly protected category or anything, even if they did discriminate against you personally, it'd be a big stretch to show they had a pattern of discrimination against white males.

justalayman

btw: you have not stated anything to suggest there was discrimination. While there could be harassment,unless there was negative action predicated on the fact you were white (or whatever the basis for discrimination you claim), there was no discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">