• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my employer force me to work outside my contracted hours?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teyiebuns

I live in England, UK.

Can my employer force me to work outside my contracted hours & take diciplinary action if I refuse?

I have worked for this employer for just over 2 years.
I work in a call centre on a 12:00pm to 8:00pm shift pattern. Last week at 8:00pm there were 2 calls left queuing and my manager told me that I MUST stay and take them as i was contracted to do so. I refused to take the calls and went home.
The next day I was taken to an investigatory meeting for misconduct, under "Refusing a reasonable management request".
I am now waiting for the outcome.

My contract states "The actual hours you will be required to work will be in accordance with a duty rota. Such a rota will be between the hours of 8:00am and 8:00pm, Monday to Friday".
In regards to overtime it states "Overtime will only be paid in exceptional circumstances when the work is essential and must be approved in advance and authorised by your Line Manager."What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">