• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my Employer search me or my purse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth3

Sorry. :( Although I agree that the OP's rationale about why she can't leave her cell phone in the car is a lot of baloney.

novagymnast8

I'm not entirely sure if I'm in agreement with all of the above, however the relevant case law will vary by State. I am aware of some court decisions that prohibit an employer from searching employees' persons and personal belongings where they have an expectation of privacy - pockets, purse person, etc. That being the case, then it's possible that terminating an employee who refuses to have their person or personal belongings searched could be a violation of public policy, at least in the absence of a well-communicated company policy that states that such searches will be conducted by the employer.
Thankyou....this is what I should have asked (about expectations of privacy). Obviously, I know they can fire me for not complying with a retarded company policy. And yes, there is an absence of a well-communicated company policy that states that searches will be conducted. So I like your answer the best.

novagymnast8

I think that many of us are just astounded at the attitude demonstrated in the sentence "But I, along with many others, refuse to leave them in our cars." :eek:
When your car has gotten broken into at night sooo many times, you learn to not leave anything in there. Especially since I work third shift, by myself.

eerelations

When your car has gotten broken into at night sooo many times, you learn to not leave anything in there. Especially since I work third shift, by myself.
It's not the where-you-leave-your-phone decision that astounds us, it's the blatant insubordination displayed by your refusal to comply with company policy. You do know that your employer can legally fire you for just suspecting that you've brought a personal cell phone into the workplace, don't you??? At least by searching your purse (whatever the legalities around that may be), they're giving you the opportunity to prove that you're not violating company policy.

novagymnast8

It's not the where-you-leave-your-phone decision that astounds us, it's the blatant insubordination displayed by your refusal to comply with company policy. You do know that your employer can legally fire you for just suspecting that you've brought a personal cell phone into the workplace, don't you??? At least by searching your purse (whatever the legalities around that may be), they're giving you the opportunity to prove that you're not violating company policy.
Well, I had to explain why I felt the way I did towards this new policy. My refusal to comply....I'm just stubborn. But I will be taking my battery in with me. And they couldn't possibly just fire me for suspecting it, without having probable cause. Which would have to be Hearsay from a coworker; which is hardly admissable in court. Yes, I agree that they would be giving me an opportunity to prove that I'm not violating the policy; however, I still have an expectation of privacy. What are they gonna do....search me every time I clock in? I mean when can my own privacy be expected?

mlane58

But I will be taking my battery in with me. And they couldn't possibly just fire me for suspecting it, without having probable cause.
Yes they can. They can terminate you for having red shoes if they want.

Which would have to be Hearsay from a coworker; which is hardly admissable in court.
Guess what? Ane employer is not a court of law and they don't have to follow the same procedure as the courts.

Yes, I agree that they would be giving me an opportunity to prove that I'm not violating the policy; however, I still have an expectation of privacy. What are they gonna do....search me every time I clock in? I mean when can my own privacy be expected?
You don't get to have an expectation of privacy in the workplace.

novagymnast8

In todays economy with millions out of work and thousands ready to take over you job...your attitude is just plain stupid.
As I stated that I will be taking my battery in with me...I am OBVIOUSLY complying. Just don't like it, so that makes my attitude stupid. Wow. Ur funny! Anyways, no more questions. Thanks everyone.

20pilot

As I stated that I will be taking my battery in with me...
Do you bring your car battery with you also? The "do not want to get the battery too hot/cold" thing is just rubbish.

In Indiana, the temperature does not get cold or hot enough to actually damage Li-Ion batteries due to use or storage. Charging Li-Ion batteries at extreme temperatures is harmful, but the charger is supposed to check the battery's temperature before/during charging and not go outside the allowed temperature.

The battery connectors on the typical phone battery are designed to be connected/disconnected only a few dozen times. If you remove/install them daily, you will end up with a dead or unreliable battery after a few weeks due to failed connectors.

Removing the battery causes the phone to loose track of the battery's charge state (the phone completely dies when the battery is removed). Normally, a battery is not re-charged till its charge drops to 80% However, when a phone sees a new battery, it has no idea how much charge is in it and so it charges it till the battery is full. Doing that once or twice in a battery's life is not a big deal. But routinely topping off a battery that does not need it is a sure way to kill its capacity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">