• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a workplace tell other co-workers and customers why you no longer work there?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JonesCD

What is the name of your state? Indiana
Recently I was fired from a job as a manager. I heard nothing but praises of my work until I came in on my shift and another manager, the same level manager as I, told me that the owner had decided it was time to let me go. When I asked why, he said it was because I didn't make my crew do deep cleaning when we were not so busy and I allowed an employee to leave on the clock, which was ok'd by the owner himself. Well, that was fine..but now the owner and the manager are telling customers and other co-workers that myself and 6 other employees were fired due to drugs. The 6 other employees quit because they fired me and drugs were never mentioned when I was terminated. My question...can an employer tell anyone why you got terminated?

JonesCD

??

They can just make up reasons amd tell anyone. even if it isn't the reason that they say you were terminated?

BelizeBreeze

JonesCD said:
They can just make up reasons amd tell anyone. even if it isn't the reason that they say you were terminated?
That is NOT the question you asked.

My question...can an employer tell anyone why you got terminated?
The answer to that question was what I told you. The fact that the reason they are telling everyone why you got fired and what they told you is different is meaningless to your stated question.

JonesCD

What do you mean it's meaningless....I asked the question...If you don't mind my asking..how do you know that this is ok?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
An employer may take out a billboard on the Interstate giving the reasons you were fired if they so desire.

And you want to know how I know this? It's my job to know what employers can and can't do.

I think the OP is saying they told him he was fired for one reason (not deep cleaning), but is telling coworkers, customers, and others that he was fired for drug use.

That doesn't change the answers, however.

Since an employer isn't obligated to tell you any reaon they fire you...they can simply ask you to leave without explanation...they can tell you one thing and other people something else.

They can tell anyone any reason as long as they believe it to be the truth, even if it isn't the truth. As long as they don't intentionally lie, there is no recourse. No slander has occurred. If they believe you used drugs they can say that, even if they're wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">