• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you sue for punitive in an fmla case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sarah71

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Is it true that you can be discriminated against due to use of fmla. I read an article were a man received 11.65 million because he was retaliated and ultimately terminated for using fmla to take care of his parents. I didn't think you could recieve punitive damages for an fmla case. Does this mean that employers can face punative damages if they terminate an employee who can prove the motives behind the termination were based on the employee taking fmla leave? I found the article at this link. http://www.fordharrison.com/fh/news/articles/11072002fmla_jury_award.asp .

Beth3

According to my reference materials on the FMLA, "aggrieved employees can sue in federal or state court to recover Title VII-type damages and equitable relief, including liquidated damages as under the FLSA, attorney fees, expert fees and costs."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">