• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car salesman

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cav4

Texas.

Hi, I'm not sure where to go with this because I am not an employee of this company, but a customer.

Recently a car salesman spent an entire work day texting me, he ran my credit, he was having unbelievable difficulty receiving pictures of my truck to give a rough trade-on value, and eventually sent me a picture of his penis. Actually, two pictures. I didn't even know they were there through the last bit of the conversation because he snuck them into little thumbnails at th bottom of a screenshot, so I had to open the pic in text to see the penis. He had to prompt me to look before I realized.

If you were able to view the texts, it would make perfect sense.

During this period, he was also texting me from another number, harassing me and attempting to get me to send him pictures and asking if I wanted to see his penis. I did not know this was him. I did block that number fairly quickly and would have done so faster if it weren't for the fact that the alias name he gave is also the name of a family member that I thought must have had the wrong number. That made for a really weird call to that family member's father. :-/

The salesman told his superiors that it was an accident, which is obviously not true when viewing the texts in hindsight, so the did nothing. It took me calling corporate office before the dealership took any action whatsoever on my behalf. They finally agreed to receive a transcript of the texts, which of course showed his actions were purposeful, unprompted, and unsolicited and that was basically spending his day using me for some kind of joke and entertainment. They did terminate him after corporate made them.

They offered me $500 off of a brand new vehicle and free oil changes for two years?? They offer this to all of their customers. I feel insulted!

I'm not sure if I should take action or not. I'm also not sure where to post this question.

Thank you.

Just Blue

Texas.

Hi, I'm not sure where to go with this because I am not an employee of this company, but a customer.

Recently a car salesman spent an entire work day texting me, he ran my credit, he was having unbelievable difficulty receiving pictures of my truck to give a rough trade-on value, and eventually sent me a picture of his penis. Actually, two pictures. I didn't even know they were there through the last bit of the conversation because he snuck them into little thumbnails at th bottom of a screenshot, so I had to open the pic in text to see the penis. He had to prompt me to look before I realized.

If you were able to view the texts, it would make perfect sense.

During this period, he was also texting me from another number, harassing me and attempting to get me to send him pictures and asking if I wanted to see his penis. I did not know this was him. I did block that number fairly quickly and would have done so faster if it weren't for the fact that the alias name he gave is also the name of a family member that I thought must have had the wrong number. That made for a really weird call to that family member's father. :-/

The salesman told his superiors that it was an accident, which is obviously not true when viewing the texts in hindsight, so the did nothing. It took me calling corporate office before the dealership took any action whatsoever on my behalf. They finally agreed to receive a transcript of the texts, which of course showed his actions were purposeful, unprompted, and unsolicited and that was basically spending his day using me for some kind of joke and entertainment. They did terminate him after corporate made them.

They offered me $500 off of a brand new vehicle and free oil changes for two years?? They offer this to all of their customers. I feel insulted!

I'm not sure if I should take action or not. I'm also not sure where to post this question.

Thank you.
How does one accidently send a pic of ones penis????

Cav4

Addendum

Just want to add, they've also made sure to send me an email to let me know he was their best salesman and he was building a house with his fiancé and he was devastated to lose his job. Really?

justalayman

While I don't agree with the actions of the salesman, this is another example of our prudishness in the US causing somebody to get worked up about something that's not really that big of a deal (well, that's a presumption on my part;))

If you want to do anything report this to the police. It may be a criminal act (I suspect it is but too lazy to research it at the moment). It is not likely to be of any value in the civil courts.

Personally I would let it go. The guy's an ass but his actions, while disturbing, were not truly harmful (well, seeing a penis shouldn't harm anybody).

Cav4

Exactly!!!!! Oh, they couldn't prove that it was an accident once they reviewed the texts. It was obviously done purposefully, as well as trying to trick me to take screenshots of my own album by saying the photos that I was sending directly from text weren't uploading, but they may work better if I screen shot them in my album and send them that way?

I'm not an idiot, so I put them in a separate album and did what he asked. It took him four hours.

I had a feeling he was trying to get a thumbnail shot of me accidentally through my album and I just ignored it because he'd already run my credit and just made sure it wasn't possible. I did not expect to receive a picture of his penis, though! Geez!!

Cav4

Thank you, Justalayman. I'm by no means a PRUDE, but I don't like being mocked and harassed and having hours of my time wasted by someone I'm trying to conduct business with. He was even texting me from a separate number at the same time.

I need a car, not a picture of the salesman's penis.

justalayman

Just want to add, they've also made sure to send me an email to let me know he was their best salesman and he was building a house with his fiancé and he was devastated to lose his job. Really?
Oh wow, if it were me, my response would be;

So, you want me to feel guilty because one of your salesmen needed to show me all his shortcomings in life and prove he is twisted? If you find my actions so reprehensible, hang on to your panties because your totally inappropriate message to me is going to result in this entire incident becoming public. I can only imagine how the general public will react to discovering the fact you are defending the actions of that pervert.

I wonder if his fiancé is aware of his actions towards me. Do you think she will remain his fiancé upon discovering what he has done?

I probably wouldn't actually do anything more but I would allow the dealer to wonder. I actually find the employers actions more offensive than their salesman's actions.

justalayman

Thank you, Justalayman. I'm by no means a PRUDE, but I don't like being mocked and harassed and having hours of my time wasted by someone I'm trying to conduct business with. He was even texting me from a separate number at the same time.

I need a car, not a picture of the salesman's penis.
I wasn't intending to mock. It was simply a statement regarding my belief we in the US have allowed things that really should not bother us bother us. While receiving such images would surely surprise me, a dick pic isn't going to scar me and it shouldn't really cause much distress to anybody else. It's simply a part of the male anatomy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am asking this not to disparage your feelings (which are valid) but to get a sense of the best way to go with this. There are several answers I can give you, all of which will be reasonable responses to what you have posted. I don't want to point you in a direction that won't get you where you want to go.

The company took action. They fired the salesman in question. Whether they did it immediately or because corporate made them is legally irrelevant - they still did it.

So...

What more is it that you are looking for? What further action would make you feel that justice was served?

Cav4

Yes! Ridiculously unprofessional and incredibly demeaning. They seem to have no problems with their employees harassing customers as long as they don't get caught and called into corporate.

I honestly don't feel like going through the whole debacle of filing charges. I do think the salesman is a sexist moron pig who obviously doesn't have much respect for women, but I don't want to cause his life too much ruin over something that is probably conditioned into him. Hopefully this had been a good lesson for him not to treat his customers like playthings just because they're female.

As for the dealership, my husband in particular is livid. Turns out the guy that is "taking action to resolve" was actually sitting next to the other manager I was speaking to the whole time and knew exactly what happened but did nothing until I filed a complaint through corporate.

ANYWAY, I have a feeling this will basically be a case of me getting over it. I don't have any problems with that, he's paid his dues and hopefully won't be sending unsolicited pictures of his erect penis to his clients anymore, but I have a lot of push coming from other people to pursue legal action and I just didn't know whether or not it would even be worth it.

Cav4

Cbg, honestly...I don't really know. I'm trying to get advice as to whether I SHOULD take action or drop it. If they did any damage to my credit, I'd appreciate that fixed. Other than that, nothing.

LdiJ

I wasn't intending to mock. It was simply a statement regarding my belief we in the US have allowed things that really should not bother us bother us. While receiving such images would surely surprise me, a dick pic isn't going to scar me and it shouldn't really cause much distress to anybody else. It's simply a part of the male anatomy.
For most of my life people could not send pictures over the phone or internet to other people of their private parts. So, the twisted people just showed people their private parts in person, and they got arrested for it when it was unwanted. So I do not agree that things have gotten worse for the twisted people. I would also like to point out that while a dick pic isn't going to bother you, its pretty darned offensive to others.

Cav4

It's ok, justalayman. Thanks for your help so far, I really do appreciate it. Sorry for getting my feathers ruffled.

I am not harmed by the dick pic. If I had been sexually abused, exploited, had some form of PTSD revolving around penises from rape of whatever, etc., it would be a different story.

People really do need to have a little respect for the people they're dealing with. It goes further than the effect it had on ME, there's a principle in place here. People, especially men, tend to dismiss this stuff pretty quickly. My husband said it feels like a joke until someone does it to your wife, if ya know what I mean.

And if you saw the texts, you'd see how much of a joke I was for him. What a Douchebag.

But I would rather accomplish spreading that message some other way.

Cav4

LDIJ, yes. What is the difference between an unsolicited dick pic and exposing oneself in person? I've wondered the same thing.

Cav4

I do feel a bit of a moral dilemma here. Part of me wants to be able to stick it to them simply because this kind of behavior is intrusive, demeaning, and harassment and they need to know they can't allow it to go unchecked. The other just wants to let it go and not deal with it.

He didn't *just* send me a dick pic.

Like I said, I'm not harmed by a penis picture. But why does that make it ok? I gave this man my address, phone number, birthdate, SSN, license plate and VIN number to my vehicle. I spent nearly six hours attempting to get pictures to him that were mysteriously not showing up, him trying to get me to take a screen shot of photos in my album so he could get a sneak peak of me, all while being harassed by him on another line at the same time.

I find it utterly disgusting that his company found this acceptable until they had a red letter complaint filed against them.

So I guess so far as compensation is concerned, I want them to take this seriously.

I know it's probably a lost cause, but I do appreciate everyone's input and advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">