• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a case of discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hipster

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I will try my hardest to be as brief as possible. The first couple of paragraphs are just a little background which you can skip if you'd like. I am an asst. manager at a large retail chain (over 400 stores nationwide) I worked for the company while going to college and upon graduation left to get a 'real job.' After realizing my passion for retail I decided to get back into the industry. My goal was to get into the corporate office as a buyer or planner. Knowing I had good background with this company I called them up and was surprised the HR person knew who I was based on my past work with them. Then I moved to Georgia as an assistant manager at one of their highest volume stores.

I feel like I have always put in 110% working whatever hours I needed to because I have always had the goal of moving up. I made that known from the beginning, but it is a hard line of work to get into. But I have been patient.

**story starts here**
A couple of months ago the district manager approached about moving me to another one of our stores. Same position, but a lower volume store. She used the tactic that they needed someone with my selling abilities to go turn that store around and get their sales where they needed to be. Then she goes on to say that even thought it's a lower volume store she had talked it over with the regional manager and they didn't think it would be fair to lower my pay (duh!!!) so they'd keep me at what I was paying. Never mind the fact that I'd be in traffic for about an hour extra each day and the mileage and gas usage.

She goes on to say that going to a slower paced store I would have the chance to get the training I deserve to become a co-manager (2nd highest management level next to the store manager) blah, blah, blah To which I reply that would be great if that were my overall goal. I come to find out that she is wanting me to move so that she could bring the asst. manager from that store to my current store and move her up as the co-manager (only a high volume store like the one I'm in can have a co.) Now this is a girl who has had the assistant manager position (her only retail management job) for not even 4 months. And the co before that was brought in from another store, too.

I decline moving to the other store because as I see it it's a step down. Of course she tries to convince me it isn't, but the way I see it is that if I should feel 'honored' not to get a pay cut it's definitely a step down. Later I ask her why I wasn't given the promotion and her excuse is that she didn't think that is what I was interested in.

Do you see the lie here? At first she tells me by making the move to the other store I could get the training to move into a co and then a store manager position and then she tells me she never thought I wanted that. Both of her statements can't be true. And what irks me even more is that the girl who was moved in as as the co isn't even fully trained. There's just something about me having to teach her things she doesn't know.

If anything, I have shown loyalty to the company. She knows I came in with the intention that I wanted to move up and that I'd do anything to get there (including taking a huge paycut when I took this position.) There is just something fishy about the excuses she has given me. Too many lies involved for me to believe anything. And on another note, there was another manager who has been the company for only a matter of a few months who started out as a freight person, but is now a store manager. Neither her nor the girl who got the co position at my store has even been around long enough to receive a review and they're already getting opportunities to improve themselves.

Do you have any suggestions? :confused: Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">