• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell Phone Restriction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greg76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

Have an employeer that is saying that we have to put our cell phones in a box when we come into work and we are not allowed to get them unless on lunch or on a break. Can they do this?

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Have an employeer that is saying that we have to put our cell phones in a box when we come into work and we are not allowed to get them unless on lunch or on a break. Can they do this?

Thanks
Yes, they can.
If you don't like it, then I would suggest that you find a job that doesn't require it.

CSO286

Thanks
Yes.

Alternatively, you certainly can leave it in your vehicle.
Or at your home.

Sounds like your boss wants you working during working hours, not playing Candy Crush.

(Incidentally, I can't seem to get past level 70 right now.)

Ladyback1

Thanks
yes, they can

tranquility

Of course. Why couldn't they?

I used to work in a place where you couldn't bring anything metal into the vault as you had to pass through a metal detector. Employers can make the rules they want as long as they don't discriminate against a protected characteristic.

Antigone*

Yes.

Alternatively, you certainly can leave it in your vehicle.
Or at your home.

Sounds like your boss wants you working during working hours, not playing Candy Crush.

(Incidentally, I can't seem to get past level 70 right now.)
HIJACK ALERT!!!

I am stuck on the same darn level!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They absolutely can do that. If you don't want to put your cell phone in a box, leave it in your car or leave it home.

swalsh411

I am sure there is a main number you can give to your family so they can reach you in an emergency. Also you should password lock your phone if you put it in the box.

Isis1

i've been stuck on level 110 for two weeks now.

i probably should start putting my cell in a box....problem is....there's no boss to hold my box :(

OHRoadwarrior

As all these slackers noted, it is likely to increase productivity that your employer is requiring cell phones to be relinquished. You can certainly lock it as suggested or leave it in your car. Provide a work number or obtain a pager for emergencies if there is a specific one that applies. Alternatively, a manager might allow emergency calls for you to their phone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">