• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company vs Union

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chemist

What is the name of your state? Pa

The company I work for is currently in a labor dispute with the Union. I am a company employee who's current job role interacts daily between company and the union. I enjoy my job. Recently though the relationship between the Company and Union has not been strong due the a stand still with a contract agreement. Many of the union employees are not fullfilling their job roles completely which in turn affect specific outcomes for the data.

One of my particular responisbilites is to make sure certain tasks are performed daily to ensure data accuracy. It is my responsiblity to check on these tasks that are performed by some Union workers. Lately, they have not been complete this task which in turn effect daily data accuracy. If they do not do this I will take it upon myself to complete their task. I am not there on weekends and I need them to make sure this gets accomplished. Today I left them a memo kindly reminding them to run this task over the weekend. Apparently one of the Union Members presented this to the Union Representative stating "we do not need a memo to remind us how to do our job." They blantly took my memo and turned it into something that it was not. They took it as a form of the Company telling them how to do their job.

As a 23yr female striving scientist I do not want my forms of communication misinterpretated. I take my job seriously and only want to do what is expected of me and what is right. We are all supposed to be a team (both Company and Union) and it is both of our jobs to perform our best and produce quality. Is there anything I should consider legally in the future to insure that my communication is not altered? If it is, is this consider a form defamation?

Beth3

Welcome to the wonderful workd of labor negotiatons. No, this is not remotely defamation and no, you cannot prevent someone from putting their own spin on anything you say or write or even purposefully misconstruing it to their advantage. What you describe is unfortunately commonplace in every workplace whenever someone has a bee in their bonnet. If your union membership want to act like childish jerks, they can do so.

I suggest you ignore it and move on. Getting into a tussel with them about it is a no-win situation for you.

C

chemist

I just seen your reply, and I truely appreciate your advice. Since, then I did not take any approach to the matter because it is a waste of my time and as you indicated it is their sole right to take a unprofessional percepective to things. I suffered no loss and damage from it. I know the truth and so does my fellow employees both Company and Union. I was not a big deal even though I was throughly frustrated by the act.

Thanks you for your time to reply to the previous! Best wishes!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">