• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Compensation discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkamila1

Hi,
My company has ~ 400 employees (one of the tech unicorns) and tons of money in the bank. This performance review period select groups, primarily G&A, were declined a salary increase and bonuses so more money can be given to incentivize engineering and product teams. Is this illegal?

LeeHarveyBlotto

Hi,
My company has ~ 400 employees (one of the tech unicorns) and tons of money in the bank. This performance review period select groups, primarily G&A, were declined a salary increase and bonuses so more money can be given to incentivize engineering and product teams. Is this illegal?
It's called a business decision and is perfectly legal. It's perfectly normal for companies to favor the people who develop and sell the products that bring money in the door over positions that do not.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's not even in the same state, let alone the same ballpark, as illegal.

The only time you are guaranteed a raise under the law is if minimum wage is raised by the appropriate legislative body AND your current wage is below the new minimum. Beyond that, it's entirely up to the employer who gets a raise and who does not. As long as they are not making the decisions as to who does and who doesn't based on a characteristic protected by law (race, religion, disability etc.) they are perfectly free to give raises to some and not to all. What group you are assigned to, department you work for, or job description you work under, are NOT protected by law. They could put a list of employee names up on the wall, throw darts at it, and give raises to only the ones whose names are hit with darts and it would be perfectly legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">