• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Compulsory charitable donations.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rene Fenton

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My employer has created a new program whereby employees are allowed to wear blue jeans on Fridays provided they are willing to donate $2 to the United Way, or once in a while to an employee activities committee. I have no problem with making a donation to a charity, but I do not want to donate via the United Way, and have asked to be allowed to give to the employee activity committee or some local charity instead. The head of my HR department told me I could elect what charity through the United Way I donated to, but would not allow me to by pass giving to this specific organization.

If I decline to donate specifically to the United Way I am not allowed to wear blue jeans. Is this legal?

I have very strong convictions about giving to large organizations that take enormous administrative fees out of the donations. I do not believe that I should be penalized by being denied a privilege because I object to the way the donations are administered. Several employees have expressed disgust over this practice but are afraid to refute the practice. Any thoughts?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is quite legal. They can't force you to contribute to the United Way, but they also don't have to let you wear blue jeans. It's not illegal discrimination because it's not based on a protected group.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">