• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this considered discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tiredgirl

What is the name of your state? MN
How about my boss giving certain people better shifts just because they have children. He seems to think that the few of us who do not have kids should have the crappy shifts with the worst days off. I have saved every memo and letter of notification of shift change/day off change in the past year. He actually stated in one of these memos that these poor people don't get to spend as much time with their children! I have a whole saga of harrassment and unfair treatment going on at my place of employment, but I don't have time to go into it all right now.... (I'm in a union and the only female also)

Beth3

I think it's a lousy deal for the "no kids" group (they have lives too) but it's not illegal. Parental status isn't protected at the federal level and I can't think of any State that has such protections, although California is always a likely candidate for the new and unusual.

Unfair is not the same as illegal.

What does your CBA say about shift assignments and if there's a contract violation, what is your union doing about it? Assuming the CBA calls for shift assignments on the basis of senority, is your union doing nothing because grieving this wouldn't be a popular move with the majority of the membership? (The majority of the membership probably having children.)

T

tiredgirl

That sucks that it's not illegial! The problem with my union is that there is no seniority. (Basically, the GOOD OLD BOYS CLUB) My specific jobsite is completely different that any other in our union. We have to staff it 24/7 365 days a year, part of the contract with the company who is using our services. The rest of our union works normal day hours Monday thru Friday. We have our own contract specific to this site. yet one from the International also. Our site contract has some very vague wording in it and my boss likes to twist and turn it around to suit his needs.
It is a very TOUCHY situation all around. Our local BA really doesn't want to get involved at all. We are hesitant to make a big stink because of fear of retaliation both with the union and the employer. It really is a bad situation because you feel you cannot get help from anyone.

T

tiredgirl

That sucks that it's not illegial! The problem with my union is that there is no seniority. (Basically, the GOOD OLD BOYS CLUB) My specific jobsite is completely different that any other in our union. We have to staff it 24/7 365 days a year, part of the contract with the company who is using our services. The rest of our union works normal day hours Monday thru Friday. We have our own contract specific to this site. yet one from the International also. Our site contract has some very vague wording in it and my boss likes to twist and turn it around to suit his needs.
It is a very TOUCHY situation all around. Our local BA really doesn't want to get involved at all. We are hesitant to make a big stink because of fear of retaliation both with the union and the employer. It really is a bad situation because you feel you cannot get help from anyone.

Beth3

These are your choices:

1. Tolerate the situation.
2. Go to your BA, file a grievance, and insist s/he act on it.
3. Spearhead a movement to vote in new union leadership at the next elections.
4. Spearhead a movement to decertify the union entirely (after all, you're apparently paying union dues for nothing.)
5. Find a new job where the policies and practices are more equitable and more to your liking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">