• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor/Mental Health accommodation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SusieA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I was working for someone as a contractor.

I worked from home. We had a contract.

She refused to pay me unless I would meet her in person.

I'm an agoraphobic. She knew I was an agoraphobic. Meeting her in person was not a requirement of the contract.

I couldn't meet her in person and she didn't pay me.

Was this legal for her to do?

commentator

If you can't get out of your home enough to meet her to pick up a paycheck, how would you expect to get out of your home enough to sue her in small claims court for violating your contract? Would she not accept your having someone else pick up the paycheck for you? I would also point out that there was nothing in the contract that guaranteed you would not have to meet her in person, either, was there?

eerelations

If you can't get out of your home enough to meet her to pick up a paycheck, how would you expect to get out of your home enough to sue her in small claims court for violating your contract? Would she not accept your having someone else pick up the paycheck for you? I would also point out that there was nothing in the contract that guaranteed you would not have to meet her in person, either, was there?
Agree. If your agoraphobia is so strong that you can't pick up a paycheque, there's no way you'll be able to go out and do all the things you need to do - on several occasions, each for long periods of time - to sue her in court.

xylene

Is this some kind of 'gotcha' clause where you can legally not pay someone unless they pick up the check?

The OP rendered services and is owed money.

How OP's condition would impact their ability to handle a suit is an interesting side issue... but doesn't really change that the money is owed.

I would also point out that there was nothing in the contract that guaranteed you would not have to meet her in person, either, was there?
Unless the contract stated - ALL SERVICES RENDERED ARE VOID UNLESS THE CHECK IS PICKED UP IN PERSON, then no I think the above argument is specious.

Anyone who did remote work could be cheated of their payment, and I know that's not the case.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one is saying the money is not owed. Where are you getting that?

The OP has recourse, but REALISTICALLY a lawsuit is not one of them under the circumstances she's described.

eerelations

No one is saying the money is not owed. Where are you getting that?

The OP has recourse, but REALISTICALLY a lawsuit is not one of them under the circumstances she's described.
Agree. I can't see where anyone (including me) said the money isn't owed.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Off the top of my head - couldn't you ask her to drop the check to you? She meets you, you get paid...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">