• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

coworker is calling me a cow

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sydpowers23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I have a coworker who has called me a heafer and sent me a slack (workplace instant message software) image of a cow. I have spoken to our boss and he has been told that it is inappropriate. The other day he rang a bell and called my name multiple times as if he was "summoning" me. When a different coworker asked what he was doing he replied "ringing the cow bell for Sydney" my boss herd this and after he stopped laughing said that he didn't think that he meant it that way. How else could he have meant it. My boss did not talk to him about this incident but did dismantle the bell so that it couldn't be done again.

My question is how can I make my coworker stop this treatment given that my boss is not taking action.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I have a coworker who has called me a heafer and sent me a slack (workplace instant message software) image of a cow. I have spoken to our boss and he has been told that it is inappropriate. The other day he rang a bell and called my name multiple times as if he was "summoning" me. When a different coworker asked what he was doing he replied "ringing the cow bell for Sydney" my boss herd this and after he stopped laughing said that he didn't think that he meant it that way. How else could he have meant it. My boss did not talk to him about this incident but did dismantle the bell so that it couldn't be done again.

My question is how can I make my coworker stop this treatment given that my boss is not taking action.
Report it to HR.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your co-worker is being very rude. However, s/he is not violating any laws.

You can report it to HR, as suggested. Please be aware that HR is not under any legal obligation to take action, and may well see this as an issue they do not need to be involved in. When there are no illegalities transpiring, and there are not in this case, it is not HR's job to make all the employees play nicely in the sandbox together. They often take the position, and there is merit to the position, that it is not up to them to make adults behave like adults; adults should be able to fight their own battles without the boss or HR or Mommy fighting it for them.

Bottom line, I'm not saying not to report it, but there is no law you can invoke that is going to force HR or your boss or anyone else to make your coworker be polite to you as long as he is not violating the law.

ETA: your most recent post was not there when I first started my response. However, substitute "management" or "your boss" or anyone else you like for HR and you'll still have a legally accurate answer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because there aren't any laws that prohibit someone from being rude. Except in Michigan, the District of Columbia and a few isolate communities here and there (mostly in California) weight is not a characteristic protected by law, which means that it is not ILLEGAL harassment.

LdiJ

so my coworker is legally allowed to call me a cow and make references to my weight? how is that not harassment?
Personally? If I were your boss I would be giving the employee doing that ONE chance to stop it or get fired.

However, that has nothing to do with legalities. It just has to do with my opinion of that kind of behavior.

adjusterjack

so my coworker is legally allowed to call me a cow and make references to my weight? how is that not harassment?
Seems clear that you have no legal recourse.

I've had a weight problem all my life so I sympathize.

I suggest you develop a thicker skin and say this to your fellow employee:

"Sure, I'm overweight, but I can go on a diet. Your stupidity is incurable."

commentator

Be brave. Do not let this person deprive you of job security, your position, anything, by just simply being an insulting ass wipe. It is not illegal to be mean, even for your supervisors. It is not a protected thing that you have to have a workplace free of jerks who call you mean names. It is certainly not a protected thing that your employer must keep you free of having your feelings hurt by co workers. Legally that is. If you deal with it proactively yourself, that's the way to go. So what? Any idiot with a mouth can insult you. Ignore. Move on. draw your paycheck, live your own life apart from work. If the place you work is mean and nasty, find another job, while you are still employed there. Then leave.

latigo

"Cow", "heifer", herd, "cow bell"? My goodness! Not quiet all milk and honey at workplace!

Perhaps disrespectful "COW-orker" would enjoy finding cow pie in lunch pail? Or fresh one on car seat?

You might also want to report the affront to the formidable Holsteins at "Chic-Fil-A"

AdjunctFL

"Cow", "heifer", herd, "cow bell"? My goodness! Not quiet all milk and honey at workplace!

Perhaps disrespectful "COW-orker" would enjoy finding cow pie in lunch pail? Or fresh one on car seat?

You might also want to report the affront to the formidable Holsteins at "Chic-Fil-A"

Wow, it's bad enough to be insulted at work but it's worse when you come here for advice and a senior member continues to insult you and make fun of the situation you're in.

adjusterjack

Wow, it's bad enough to be insulted at work but it's worse when you come here for advice and a senior member continues to insult you and make fun of the situation you're in.
Since there's no legal issue here we are trying to lightheartedly bolster the OP's ego.

Now "moo-ve" over and let us do our work by "steering" her in the right direction.

We've looked at cows from both sides now.

TigerD

And now for a more accurate and serious answer:

1. Talking to HR great idea.
2. Since there is no HR, talk to the manager/owner
3. Severe or morbid obesity is protected under the ADAAA
4. Advising the owner/manager that you don't appreciate having your disability be a punchline.

Employers need to be mindful of liability for disability-based harassment of employees and that includes severely obese employees. Stereotypes, jokes, derogatory comments and other weight-related content can form the basis for an obesity-related harassment or hostile work environment claim.

You may not yet be at the point of speaking to an attorney with expertise in employment or disability law, but it wouldn't hurt.

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">