• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coworker's wife thinks we are having affair & called my company's Legal Department

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladybug3

Coworker's wife thinks we are having affair & called my company's Legal Department

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have a coworker whom I am good friends with. His wife now thinks we are having an affair. I don't blame her because he has professed his love to me and has even told his wife (bad move). We are not having an affair or any kind of relationship other than friends. Him and I work on the same project but for two different companies. We also work on separate parts of the project that rarely cross.

Problem: His wife has called the legal department of my company (the husband told me) and I don't know what she said but no one has mentioned anything to me. What kind of repercussions are possible if they believe her that her husband and I are in an affair?! getting removed from the project? getting fired? could it be made worse because adultery is illegal and they have to get involved somehow? Any help is appreciated....

ladybug3

Thanks, fairisfair. I reposted this under the correct section of the forums because someone had mentioned that I had incorrectly put it under the Divorce Law section when it is really a matter of Employment Law. You are on your toes today!

I don't actually understand why I can be fired for this. The only thing I can think of is that Virginia is an 'at will' state and can fire for any reason. Supposing something of this nature actually happens to me (I don't put anything past this woman), what kind of action can I take against my company or her for doing so? In the eyes of the legal team at my company, what is their train of thought for firing me? that I have committed adultery (which I haven't)? that I caused some waves at the workplace because this man has fallen in love with me? why would I be punished for something like that when it's not my fault? don't they need proof of that before they consider firing me - and would just her phonecalls be enough proof for the legal team? Any help is appreciated.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
The only thing I can think of is that Virginia is an 'at will' state and can fire for any reason.
You got it.

don't they need proof of that before they consider firing me - and would just her phonecalls be enough proof for the legal team?
No, they don't need proof. That's what "fired for any reason" means. They can fire you for any reason. Of course, there's the usual caveat about the exceptions to "any reason", but this doesn't fall within those parameters.

ETA: And by the way. Not trying to be judgemental, but you are having an affair whether you're having sex or not. You're declaring your love for each other and your desire and intention to be together while he's married to another woman, and antagonizing her in the process. She "thinks" you're having an affair? No, she knows you are. So if you're going to take her husband, at least allow her the right to not be happy about it. Plus, he's a co-worker. To put it bluntly you're asking for trouble, so don't be too surprised when trouble shows up.

Last edited:

Beth3

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have a coworker whom I am good friends with. His wife now thinks we are having an affair. I don't blame her because he has professed his love to me and has even told his wife (bad move). We are not having an affair or any kind of relationship other than friends. Him and I work on the same project but for two different companies. We also work on separate parts of the project that rarely cross.

Problem: His wife has called the legal department of my company (the husband told me) and I don't know what she said but no one has mentioned anything to me. What kind of repercussions are possible if they believe her that her husband and I are in an affair?! getting removed from the project? getting fired? could it be made worse because adultery is illegal and they have to get involved somehow? Any help is appreciated....

Your employer can do anything they want, from simply ignoring the phone call up to terminating your employment and/or his. I've had an occasional phone call like this in the past and have informed the caller that their marital problems are none of the company's business. Unless a relationship two employees are having is causing problems at work or opens up the company for legal exposure, then I don't think it's anyone's business other than the people involved. (Personally, though, if this guy cared about his wife and his marriage, he'd end his friendship with you.)

Silverplum

ETA: And by the way. Not trying to be judgemental, but you are having an affair whether you're having sex or not. You're declaring your love for each other and your desire and intention to be together while he's married to another woman, and antagonizing her in the process. She "thinks" you're having an affair? No, she knows you are. So if you're going to take her husband, at least allow her the right to not be happy about it. Plus, he's a co-worker. To put it bluntly you're asking for trouble, so don't be too surprised when trouble shows up.
Brangelina!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">