• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Craigslist - Job Add Says: FEMALE BARTENDER ONLY WANTED - I wasn't Hired.. Can I Sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thebuffalo11

Im in CA,
I responded to a Cragslist add looking for a bartender, even though it said in the title they are "looking for a female bartender only".. But I thought with my experiance they might call me back anyway. Well they didnt.. and when I went back in that restraunt to check the status of my application, there was a big boobed bimbo new hire that was working the bar area, and the manage said they are no longer taking applications.. So they obviously followed their add of hiring a female only, reguardless of skill.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

FlyingRon

You can try filing an EEOC complaint but places like Hooters haven't lost yet where men have tried to claim discrimination trying to get server/bartending jobs there. They invoke the Bona-Fide Occupational Qualification Rule to exempt the otherwise illegal discrimination. This allows certain occupations (like airline pilots) to discriminate on age, religious organizations to discriminate against those not of their religion, and Hooters (and perhaps your bar) to discriminate against you because you're hot a hot looking bimbo with big tits.

thebuffalo11

Do you still have a copy of the job posting?
Yes, I deleted the name and address of the buisness, but here is the post.

here is what the post said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Female Bartender (" ", CA east )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-03-19, 11:01PM PDT
Reply to: hfths-"###########"@job.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" " sushi in CA with Sports Bar is looking for female bartender with at least one year experienced. Must be outgoing and great customer personality. If you are driven and able to bring followers, then you are the right person. Bring in your resume with picture profile.
Hours /days are every Friday & Saturday 5pm-closing.

• Compensation: $8.00 plus tips
• This is a part-time job.
•Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
•Please, no phone calls about this job!
•Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
PostingID: "##########"

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And what proof do you have that your gender was the reason you weren't hired?

Zigner

Just the add that they posted saying they only wanted a female. No one told me specifically that this is why..
Right - so if the bimbo has more experience, a better personality and a better knowledge of the drinks...does that mean that YOU should have been hired?

thebuffalo11

Right - so if the bimbo has more experience, a better personality and a better knowledge of the drinks...does that mean that YOU should have been hired?
I see where your comming from, and in that stance you could be correct. But isnt it illegal for employers to even post and add with discrimination in it..
half of the adds I see now and days have some sort of "wimen only", "above 40yrs old", "christian religion only", "no guys apply".. same goes with housing post's to..

It stupid, and unfair.

Sorry to waste your time.. I guess im just venting..

Beth3

You're free to file a complaint with the EEOC or your State's Equal Rights Division. I can't imagine any BFOQ justification a sports bar could reasonably come up with to defend a "female only" hiring policy for their bartender(s).

ESteele

Follow Beth’s advice. The ad itself appears to conflict with federal and state anti-discrimination law. While Hooters, the Playboy Club and certain other businesses have skirted the law by arguing BFOQ to hire attractive young women, most employers cannot successfully make such an argument.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
half of the adds I see now and days have some sort of "wimen only", "above 40yrs old", "christian religion only", "no guys apply".. same goes with housing post's to..

Thought number one; if the above is an example of your communication skills, no wonder you can't find a job

Thought number two; Although I agree that it is hard to come up with a legitimate reason to base a bartending job on gender, there are occasionally valid reasons why an employer would be looking for specific ages, genders or religions.

Thought number three; Any goofball who doesn't know his rear end from his elbow can post an ad on Craigslist. There are far more legitimate sources for jobs where the employers actually have a clue what is and is not permissable. Try using them.

las365

I object to the characterization of the woman who was hired as a bimbo. Getting the job that OP didn't certainly doesn't make her stupid. Even if she is pretty, blond, and well-endowed. Oh wait, those things don't make a woman stupid, either.

Zigner

I object to the characterization of the woman who was hired as a bimbo. Getting the job that OP didn't certainly doesn't make her stupid. Even if she is pretty, blond, and well-endowed. Oh wait, those things don't make a woman stupid, either.
My reference to the bimbo was simply a sarcastic response to OP's characterization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">