• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Current manager to modify previous manager's evaluation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brichey

What is the name of your state? TX

is it legal for a current manager of three months to change a previous manager's evaluation because he disagrees with the criteria for evaluation?

where can i find legal documentation on this matter?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since there are no laws requiring the evaluations be given, and no legal guidelines for how evaluations must be done, there are therefore no laws making it illegal for a manager to change an evaluation. In the absence of a law forbidding the practice, it must be considered legal.

B

brichey

thanks for the reply, but...

maybe "it's not fair" is not good enough, but the previous manager signed this evaluation and based on that evaluation a certain compensation was recommended. now, a manager who didn't even supervise during that period has the right to change that signed document and offer lower compensation?

and nothing can be done?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can ask upper management to let the initial evaluation stand, but if they say no, then no, there's nothing to be done. I understand that you believe it to be unfair, and you may be right. But neither pay increases nor evaluations are required by law*, and therefore the company has complete freedom to handle either in whatever way they choose. You simply do not have any legal standing here.

* Pay increases are required by law ONLY if you are at minimum wage and an act of Congress raises the minimum wage. They may be mandated by contract if you are under a bona fide employment contract or CBA that specifies exactly when the increases will occur. Evaluations are NEVER required by law but may be mandated by employment contract or CBA, as above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">