• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of Character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dakotas94

What is the name of your state? CA

I have been volunteering at this non-profit community theatre for about seven months now. There is another volunteer there, a gril about 20 yrs old, not has she only done nothing but talked trash about me to everyone there, as well as I have recently come across her writing that I am an ******* she has also falsely accussed me of sexual harrassment in an attempt to have my kicked out of the theatre. She has done this to try and get a monopoly on the tech work and me being there is a threat to that, this has majorly hurt my reputation in this organization what can I do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dakotas94 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I have been volunteering at this non-profit community theatre for about seven months now. There is another volunteer there, a gril about 20 yrs old, not has she only done nothing but talked trash about me to everyone there, as well as I have recently come across her writing that I am an ******* she has also falsely accussed me of sexual harrassment in an attempt to have my kicked out of the theatre. She has done this to try and get a monopoly on the tech work and me being there is a threat to that, this has majorly hurt my reputation in this organization what can I do?

My response:

The hard way - - Talk to your supervisor about this matter and have a meeting with them about the problems.

The easy way - - Beat the crap out of her in the parking lot.

IAAL

P.S. If you choose to beat the crap out of her, you must invite me. I love chick fights.

Last edited:
D

Dakotas94

unfortunatly I am on the board of directors for this organization, in which I have gone to the President as well as other "executive board members" and everything is always just pushed under the rug, so I wanted to see if I had any other options...and sorry to burst you bubble but I am male...no chick fight here...sorry

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dakotas94 said:
unfortunatly I am on the board of directors for this organization, in which I have gone to the President as well as other "executive board members" and everything is always just pushed under the rug, so I wanted to see if I had any other options...and sorry to burst you bubble but I am male...no chick fight here...sorry

My response:

My mistake. You sounded like a little, whiny, girl.

So, you're on the Board of Directors, you're a male, and you're letting a girl, who is 20 years old, get the better of you?

Does the word "Pansy" come to mind?

IAAL

D

Dakotas94

Well due to her actions I was recently replaced by her as technical director of a show, as well as most of the members there now seem to think I am some sick freak or something, it's not helping any, and anything I say seems to be ignored

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dakotas94 said:
Well due to her actions I was recently replaced by her as technical director of a show, as well as most of the members there now seem to think I am some sick freak or something, it's not helping any, and anything I say seems to be ignored

My response:

Okay. Let's go back to "Plan B". But, this time, knives and chains are acceptable.

Look, you haven't said anything in your posts about what she's said or done. You've only given me "conclusions" - - so, I have no idea whether or not anything she's done is legally "actionable".

Slander or libel (Defamation) are very difficult to prove and, in most instances, it is you that will be placed on trial in her efforts to defend against your allegations. Defamation suits are not a pretty sight. To get an idea how "rough" it really can be on a Plaintiff, try renting the movie called "A Case of Libel" starring Ed Asner.

Then, you let me know whether it's worth it to you.

IAAL

D

Dakotas94

ok well first off she has accussed me of looking down her shirt and pants, which to me is totally disgusting, she is like 6' something and 200 something pounds. She has written the word "as**ole" on my name in one of the programs which I have showing her feelings towards me I guess. She has also accused me of sabatoging shows for the most part giving the impression to other theatre members that I am some evil, untrustworthy a**, I have even been recently asked by another board member to let them know when I plan to enter the theatre, so in most part I am now being treated like a criminal and have done nothing wrong. So now I have this group of people looking down on me and treating me like I am some terrible person.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dakotas94 said:
ok well first off she has accussed me of looking down her shirt and pants, which to me is totally disgusting, she is like 6' something and 200 something pounds. She has written the word "as**ole" on my name in one of the programs which I have showing her feelings towards me I guess. She has also accused me of sabatoging shows for the most part giving the impression to other theatre members that I am some evil, untrustworthy a**, I have even been recently asked by another board member to let them know when I plan to enter the theatre, so in most part I am now being treated like a criminal and have done nothing wrong. So now I have this group of people looking down on me and treating me like I am some terrible person.

My response:

Why am I getting this mind image of you flitting around on stage, wearing a TuTu, to the music of the Nutcracker Suite?

I've reviewed your allegations and, listen, from what you've said so far, and even with your continuation of writing "conclusions", you've got nothing "legally actionable."

You either work it out with the Board, or find a new job.

IAAL

I

iso2000

Alway's Liable

"I'm Always Liable", hillarious! Good stage stuff, but I bet you really piss the judge's off. I have a post up here about possible age discrimination....tear me up, I need a lift.

Beth3

Dakotas, the problem is this girl has put the company behind the eight-ball, she knows it, and she's playing it for all it's worth. Once an employee alledges sex discrimination, even if management knows it's fabricated, the employer is walking a very fine line in dealing with it because if they take any action against her, she'll be screaming "retalliation" all the way to an attorney's office.

The law absolutely prohibits an employer from retalliating against an employee for making allegations of prohibited discrimination, even if those allegations are incorrect. A claim of retalliation actually exposes the employer to far more in potential monetary damages than does the underlying issue of SH, even if SH did not occur.

The only way to deal with this is to follow IAAL's original advice and speak to the appropriate members of management/board of directors to develop a legal strategy how to deal with this girl. Even if they aren't all that interested in salvaging you, you should point out that if this girl's strategy works for her, every time something happens she does not like, she'll be screaming sexual harassment/discrimination and they are going to have a long-term problem on their hands. Who knows who she will next accuse? I've seen it happen.

What the Board needs to do is consult with a labor attorney to develop a strategy on how they're going to deal with her. I don't want to get into specifics here of what that strategy should be - there are too many variables - but a few dollars spent now on expert legal advice could save your organization many, many thousands of dollars later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">