• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of Character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blcw30

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi I work for a city here in Texas and I have a question.

Friday I was approached by an individual saying that I was going to be under investigation for doing jobs on the side.
And that if any of this rumor was true that I was going to be fired.
My question is since this is a false rumor is this Defamation of Character or would this be under something else? What steps could I take for legal actions? This is the first time it has happen to me on false allegations made, but not the first time in this department. Another gentlemen was accused of smoking marijuana at work in which this was totaly false. When he asked who was making these false statements they told him not too worry about it. If it's not true just ignore after he had taken a drug test and passed. Thank you for your time.

S

Sinsaint26

This is not defamation of character or anything else at this point. More than likely the investigation will show that you have no other side jobs (unless you do have a side job) and you will go about your business. To prove defamation, you must know who made the statements, the person who said them knew they were totally false and you suffered monetary losses, such as lossing your job. The biggest hurdle is proving that the person made knowingly false statements but you are not at that point because you have not lost your job.

B

blcw30

Ok so I would have to lose my job. Thanx for the information
I was just wondering. By law do I have the right to know you is making false statements about me?

S

Sinsaint26

No, your employer does not need to give you this information unless they choose to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">