• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of Character

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

payback

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I work for a large firm in which I am the only African-American in our dept. My colleagues have titles and roles that are considered to "matter in the firm", whereas myself and other peers are looked down on as lower level positions that are under appreciated.

I've been with the company a short time, and I have no friends. My peers are known for gossiping and keeping things stirred up. I have on occasion heard them talking about me, saying I have an "attitude." I keep to myself and get all my work done in a timely fashion. I have gotten praise from many partners in the firm about my outstanding performance.

I work with this one individual who thinks she is so much more educated than myself. She has on many occassions told the manager that she can't work with me because she is "intimidated"by me. As a result, I was terminated. Would this be considered Defamation of Character?

Beth3

No. She's entitled to her opinion, even though it may have been silly or unfounded.

To have a case for defamation, you'd have to prove all of the following: (a) that she knowingly told lies about you, (b) that she did so malicously, (c) that the lies were broadcast to an "audience," and (d) that you suffered damages as a result. You have damages (the loss of your job) but none of the other elements were met.

Given the incidents you site in your other post, I think you'll just have to chalk this brief employment experience up to a "bad things happen to good people" episode and move on. Good luck with your next opportunity.

First of all, it's not the fault of an employer that you don't have "friends". Being civil and friendly is one thing but it's always a good idea to keep friendship separate from the job.

Secondly, you really seem to have a chip on your shoulder about being African-American and about your place in the company hierchy. How do you "know" what people think about other positions and how do you "know" who said what to who?

Seems to me that you focused more on who is thinking/saying what than you did on doing your JOB - for which you were being paid. I'd bet that in addition to your attitude was why you were fired.

Concerning the person who thinks she is more educated thanyou - she doesn't have to "think" anything. Either she IS more educated than you or she isn't - but SO WHAT? Maybe YOU resented her education. Should she sue you for that?

As far as whether someone finding you intimidating being defamation, you are REALLY grasping at straws! Call the EEOC, or an attorney and see what THEY tell you.

Employers (in this day of lawsuits and complaints of discrimination) are not stupid. They cover their bases - ESPECIALLY where a minority is concerned.

Obviously there is more to this than what you are telling.

Don't always "ASSume" that everyone is looking down on you because of your race or your status on the corporate ladder. I've worked at classy places where lower-level minority employees are treated better than management.

Furthermore, you said that you were the only African American but that your (White) peers are also "looked down on". Then in the next breath you said you received praise from the partners - people with titles "that matter". :confused: HUH?

Your attitude; i.e. that chip you carry around, would indeed be intimidating to some people. Maybe you came off as defensive and always ready for a fight and it also might explain why you "don't have friends". Anyway, sounds like you didn't like it there anyway so just as well you move on.

Last edited:
P

payback

Thank you Beth3 for your thoughts on this matter, I really appreciate it!

As for you "Justvisiting", you sound a bit hostile in your comments. Hint of advice to you...you're not an ATTORNEY. so your merely just giving your opinions, none of which MATTER to me. A person of my intelligence, doesn't stoop to such a childish level as you have just demonstrated just to gain someone's attention. I am very confident in myself which can at times be intimidating, even to someone like you.

For future references, you may want to READ carefully before submitting your thread. I mentioned nothing about my peers being WHITE...oops did I hit a nerve??? You sound like you are offended by statement...huuum, I wonder why?????????

Furthermore, sounds like to me you are the one with the chip on your shoulder. I'll pray for you!

Payback, (as in "revenge"?) LOL! Yeah right.

I did not ASK you for advice, nor would I. I must say I amchuckling because if you could see me you would know you did not hardly hit any nerve, ROFL!

You posted here for advice and did not make any restrictions. It's common for people to "go off" like you are when someone tells them to look in the mirror. You put your shyt out here on the Internet, ask for feedback, then want to jump froggy because I didn't tell you what you WANT to hear.

Register with some temp agencies. Check the online ads and job boards. Get some feedback on your resume and your demeanor. Therapy might also help.
Good luck. :)

Last edited:
P

payback

Get a life "Justvisiting"! You spend too much of your time on the internet trying to give someone advice...you are the one that needs to seek some THERAPY! Oh and if you were an ATTORNEY, i'm sure you would have mentioned it in your SPEECH already.

You are entitled to your OPINION, but like I said before you or your opinion is not of interest to me, nor does it MATTER! Oh and by the way "Justvisiting" you might wanna just visit an ANGER MANAGEMENT class, sounds like you're bitter about something?

As far as you cornering me on relevant issues.....I think NOT!!! You are the PREDICTABLE one! Maybe you should look into the field of Fortune Telling since you like to PREDICT???? Oh, damn I wouldn't want you to be another MISS CLEO (LOL)!!!

Anyway, I have a JOB and I am very SUCCESSFUL! :D

Payback,
Yes. It's obvious you posted here because you don't spend any time on the Internet, you have a great job, and you are happy and have no complaints about anything or anyone and you are certainly not turning the tables nor are you angry about anything.

Wow! What a coincidence. Interesting that after posting that you have no friends and you were fired from your job things just SUDDENLY turned around for you. Guess all that praying helped or maybe the Job/Attitude/Friendship Fairy dropped out of the sky and landed on your shoulder within the past 24 hrs.

.....this is really getting silly.

Since you are such a success I will not bother wishing you well with your career and your wonderful life - which includes lots of friends! :)

Sorry, but I can't spend anymore time playing with you. Take care!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">