• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of Character in the WorkPlace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jannie1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Colorado

I was in a mediation/training type setting yesterday, when the mediator gave us some paper with "positive" words on it (i.e. Hard Worker, Achiever, etc.) and told us to pick either two of those items about each person in the room and write their names on the back, fold them & give them to him. He said we could write one negative if we wished, but we had to at least write one positive. We could make up our own words if we liked, as well.

There's much about this whole story, however, we broke for lunch and when we came back, our Supervisor said that she didn't understand that you could write negatives or make up your own words and so she just used the words on the list (which were all positive). I didn't announce that to anyone, but I didn't write any negatives either. I didn't think that was the place for that.

These words were posted on each individual's sheet (flip chart size) and put on the walls. Each person had to go and turn theirs over one person at a time. I had two negatives..."untrustworthy" and "selfish". My boss had "Non-communicator". The rest were all positive. Not only did we have to turn them over, we had to read them out loud. I HIGHLY RESENT this! I was humiliated and flabbergasted at these words. I had to hang on the rest of the day with those charts facing me - and mine was the worst - had my name on this sheet of paper for all to see.

I have a stellar background, which can be proven. I was so humiliated, I could not go to work today and face these people. I don't know who wrote these words for sure, but it doesn't matter. I've never been in a course like this before in my life. I resent that my character was smeared right there - public flogging. The Mediator doesn't even know me. I called my HQs and briefed them on this, and feel forced to ask for a downgraded transfer (which HQs is telling me they don't want me to take). They are talking about all of this, but it looks like the ball will be in my court as far as the transfer.

Is this a legal case? I would like to get my grade back as I'm going to lose about $400 a month because of this downgrade.

You Are Guilty

Currently, there is no civil tort of "flabbergastation" in any of the 50 states. If you would like to pursue your claim, I would suggest you write to your local state representative requesting that one be created. Good luck.

Beth3

Yes, that would indeed be upsetting but you are WAY over reacting. You didn't go into work the next day and then contacted HQ and requested a DEMOTION?!? Are you KIDDING???

Look, be a grownup and suck it up. This is only as big a deal as you choose to make of it. Your situation does not remotely provide the basis for a cause of action for defamation or anything else.

Is this a legal case? Not even close. I would like to get my grade back as I'm going to lose about $400 a month because of this downgrade. You're the one that requested the demotion. Nobody made you do that. Despite your assertions, you were not forced to seek a transfer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">