• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

defamation in workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JSA

What is the name of your state?
Texas
A year and half ago (summer), a statement about me and my assistant coach, concerning a "love affair", was told to the administration. This statement was investigated by one of the head administrators and by the principal to be untrue. However,instead of the rumor dying out, it is being perpetuated in great amounts by one individual. This rumor and now personal attacks has persitted for 18 months and continues to grow, statements that would be comical except for the fact that now it has definitely ruined my assistant coach's reputation and mine....probably to the point of closing the opportunity on any chance of advancing into administration. I do not know this individual personally, but she works at the administration office and will not stop spreading the lies and personal verbal attacks, even making it a topic of conversation while supposedly on professional business at other schools. My question is: what process can I go through to make her aware that I do not want this to continue and if it does, that I will take legal action?

Beth3

Speak to an attorney and at a minimum have him/her send a letter to this individual saying if she doesn't cease and desist immediately, you will file suit against her. You may also want to consider requiring her to go to the appropriate members of management where you work and admitting that the statements she has made are untrue and unfounded in order to avoid being sued. You don't just have the issue of making her stop but also of trying to undo some of the damage she has done. A good attorney will be able to advise you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">