• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

~Demoted while on short term disability~

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SassyNiteRyder

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I started a new job in July 0f 2002 and was hired to be a directory assistance operator. After only 9 days of training they promoted me to supervisor assistant/operator. Which means I would be (SA) supervisor assistant from 7-11 am (making $9.67/hr) and be operator from 11-3 (making $7.67/hr). All went well until the middle of November I had an injury and was diagnosed with a pinched nerve in my back. My doctor kept me off work for a month and I was put on short term disability, which the company approved. I returned to work in the middle of December with NO restrictions, thinking I was still SA/operator when my boss told me that I was no longer SA and I had been replaced. I asked "what?" in shock and she said that I needed time on the floor anyway (as operator she meant). So my pay was lowered to $7.67/hr for all 8 hours each day. In several meetings she verbally told me she wanted me to be SA again but wanted to make sure my back was completely healed. Finally, after 2 months, I got tired of being strung along and I quit last Tuesday. Is it legal what they did to me? I believe it is morally wrong to demote someone while they are on short term disability but I'm not sure if it's legally wrong. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Kelli

Beth3

No, what they did was not illegal.

You had a temporary medical problem so that doesn't fall under the pervue of the Americans with Disabilities Act, so we don't need to go there. If your month off work resulted in your not getting the necessary training or time on the job to meet your new responsibilities, it may be understandable why you were demoted back to your former position, although I can understand why you think that's unfair. In any event, the company has not acted illegallly.

S

SassyNiteRyder

Thanks, Beth, for the information. I wasn't sure and now I'm glad I know. Although it wasn't illegal what they did, I and my former co-workers, thought it was very unfair. I'm glad I quit and will try to find a company that doesn't "kick ya when your down" if that's possible. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">