• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

demotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fdeyhle

ohio

i was demoted from a position that I have held for 25 years and a person with lesser time doing the same type job with a similar set of circumstances was not demoted. we both had robberies of our stores with similar losses. i had 34 years of service with the company. do i have any recourse.

[email protected]

Beth3

Not from what you've posted. An employer has the right to promote, demote, hire, and fire as they feel appropriate and necessary for the business.

F

fdeyhle

Demotion

To Beth3,
Thank you for your time. I was just thinking that there was no consistancy in the their handing out of discipline given we were told we failed to follow the same giude line.

Last edited:

Beth3

There is no law which requires employers to be consistent in the application of their policies. It can certainly lead to trouble for the employer though when one of those on the receiving end of an inconsistency happens to be in a protected class and decides that their race/gender/age/national origin/etc. is the reason rather than just bad management.

F

fdeyhle

To Beth3

We were both in that protected class (over 40) But I can not say the changes were made due to my age even though my replacement is 20 years younger. Again, Thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">