• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied Unemployment benefits because I quit due to harassment.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

analfke

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
I was denied Unemployment benefits because I quit my job due to ongoing harassment from my former employer on the basis of my sex, sexual orientation, and religious affiliation! Should I file a complaint with the Massachusetts Coalition Against Discrimination before I return to appeal Unemployment's decision?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts
I was denied Unemployment benefits because I quit my job due to ongoing harassment from my former employer on the basis of my sex, sexual orientation, and religious affiliation! Should I file a complaint with the Massachusetts Coalition Against Discrimination before I return to appeal Unemployment's decision?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Did you make complaints?

What exactly was the situation?

analfke

My work hours were cut after I stopped visiting the church that he told me I should attend. I was told on a daily basis that I would be going to hell for being gay. Certain privileges, (work and pay), were being given to his Christian employee's, especially the males, (which everyone that works there would say that he favors his male employee's).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To respond to your question, on the off chance that this is serious, a claim with MCAD and an unemployment appeal are two entirely different things. They have no relationship to each other. Filing with MCAD will neither improve nor hurt your chance on appeal; nor will whether you win or lose your unemployment appeal affect the results of a claim with MCAD. What's more, an MCAD investigation takes far, far longer than the limited time you have to appeal; waiting on your MCAD results will only ensure that you have gone past the SOL to appeal your unemployment claim and that you're stuck with the current results.

You want to appeal, appeal. You want to file with MCAD, file with MCAD. YOu want to do both, do both. But don't try to connect the two; it won't help your cause and might hurt it.

commentator

Ditto everything cbg is saying. The two agencies do not interconnect, do not exchange information, there is not any advantage in doing one as far as the other is concerned. But if you wait to file your appeal on unemployment until the time limit for appeal has passed, it doesn't matter if your other case goes to the Supreme Court and changes national law and wins you millions, you don't get any unemployment.

Hot Topic

Sweeping statements like everyone there would say that the employer favors his male employees are always subject to challenge.

Did you go around surveying the male employees on their religious affiliations? Making such assumptions, or even asking employees about them, is a strike against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">