• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

didn't pay me full amount,help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thompsoncorey

i live in Iowa and need help in what I should do. I have been on disability(not hurt at work) since last May and my employer wouldn't let me work with any restrictions even though they were not much and had nothing to do with my job at the time.So I put up with that after alittle fight with the VP of the company about it all,they came up with that they would not pay for my school while I was off(they pay for college) and since I had no more use for them b/c I would never be able to return with thier standards I quit.Although I worked only until May, I have been there 3 years and expected 2 weeks vacation or 80 hours.They only paid me 32 hours!!!but on the check stub it says 48 hours vacation left and they won't pay it even though personnel gave me 80.The person that decided this was the VP and he's prorating my vacation even though after a year of service you automatically have 2wks.What can I do?I'm afraid that he may try to write a company policy and date it before this.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends upon whether you are granted the full two weeks upon being there a year, or whether it accrues monthly. Either is legal.

If it accrues monthly, it's quite legal to pro-rate. That's what my company does, and frankly, that's what most companies I'm familiar with do.

If, however, you are given your time in a block, they should pay out the whole amount. Sometimes it's hard to tell, because companies that accrue monthly will often allow you to "borrow" time you have not yet earned, so as to let someone take a full week at a time early in the vacation year.

Do you have a company handbook that might explain corporate policy?

If you still feel that you have been cheated, talk to the state Department of Labor - they handle this sort of wage issue.

T

thompsoncorey

thank you for your reply, they do not have a company handbook which enables them to make things up as they go.I know that when you start there they prorate the 1st year but after that I thought it was for years of service.I do know of a couple others working there that were given the full amount although missed time with a disability, but it seems like it depends on who you are.the real thing is that I asked them 2 times this year how much I had and they told me 80 hrs and my check stub after i was paid the 32 hrs still has 48 on it remaining,that should be enough proof, do you think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">