• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DIfference between Bullying and Harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinthenorthwest

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? oregon
Is there a difference between bullying and harrassment...
If so then how does one get bullying stopped, especially since it is not harrassment...

For over a year now I have had a co-worker condescending actions and attitude toward me regarding many work issues. She has even undermined and/or attempted to undermine several assignments I was working on, sometimes with fellow employees.
Numerous times I have been offensively chastised for either making a simple request, suggestion or asking a question.

dlw99

Your question is a good one. It's difficult to know how to respond appropriately to workplace bullying and/or harassment, because the wrong move could cost you your job. A lot depends on the type/size of company you work for.

Here's an article that specifically answers your question about the difference between workplace bullying and harassment:

http://www.jdtunbound.com/unbound-exclusive/april/2009/workplace-bullying-vs-workplace-harassment-real-facts-you-need-know

Oregon is still working on an anti-bullying "Healthy Workplace Bill". Oregon was the fifth state to introduce the bill, but there's a lot of opposition from businesses who fear excessive litigation from alleged targets of bullying.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">