• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bonmelmon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.Back in March of 2012 I made my employer( Denver Public Schools )aware that I had been Diagnosed with insomnia. I was told by my Chief that maybe I wasn't a good fit here any more and maybe I should start looking elsewhere for employment. In June of 2012 the decision was made to have the patrol division start working rotating shifts every 4 months. I then went back to my doctor and was again diagnosed with insomnia, I asked to be able to stay on the day shift and not be moved to the midnight shift. I even had someone willing to trade with me. I was sent to Human Resources who required me to get a doctors note stating I had insomnia and was not able to work the rotating shifts. Human resources then called a meeting and told me that due to a hardship on the district that they would not accommodate me. My Chief said it was due to training issues around the new schedule and new people hired. I am losing about 10,000 dollars a year in the new position. As of today the patrol division is going back to steady shifts, I again asked Human Resources for the chance to go back to patrol as with my seniority I would be able to bid a day shift and my disability would no come in to play. The once again refused to help me. Is there anything I can do or is this legal? I believe this could be in retaliation for being involved in getting a Union started.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Does your union - or does company policy - have a bidding policy based on seniority?

bonmelmon

Does your union - or does company policy - have a bidding policy based on seniority?
We are waiting to finalize the contract with the Union, should be soon. My request for accommodations was reviewed the day before we got the vote to unionize. I believe this is why they did not accommodate me, I had no Union protection at the time, and I feel this is retaliation for being involved in the starting of the union. We have been bidding on shifts based on seniority for at least 13 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">