• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tonelaz2211

INDIANA

I have 30% service connected disabilty, 10% for hearing loss, and 20% lower back pain. For this I take tramadol. I recently applied for a position with Transportation Security Adminitration. I made it thru to the medical exam. Afterwards I was sent a letter stating I was not getting hired because I take tramadol. Isn't this discrimination? I am cleared by my doctor to work.

Last edited:

tonelaz2211

Tramadol has no side affects that cause me to be unable to do that job. I was able to serve our country while taking tramadol, but I'm unfit to screen travelers. Don't make since. I feel taking tramadol directly for my disability makes my disability the reason I'm not getting hired which is discrimination. I also feel medication impacts people differently and being cleared by a physician makes me capable of this job.

AdjunctFL

Tramadol has no side affects that cause me to be unable to do that job. I was able to serve our country while taking tramadol, but I'm unfit to screen travelers. Don't make since. I feel taking tramadol directly for my disability makes my disability the reason I'm not getting hired which is discrimination. I also feel medication impacts people differently and being cleared by a physician makes me capable of this job.
I wouldn’t want someone screening passengers who might have dizziness, drowsiness, increased blood pressure, blurred vision, changes in balance, convulsions, fainting, seeing or feeling things that are not there, etc. While you might not personally have them, I don’t think it’s overly cautious of the TSA to not risk anyone taking such a drug.

Being cleared by a physician does not mean that the TSA has to accept their opinion. However, the Federal Government has a process for applicants to appeal their failure to be hired if they were on a Best Qualified list but not selected, discriminated against, or they feel Veteran's Preference wasn't properly considered. The process was probably briefly outlined in their letter advising you of not being hired.

tonelaz2211

Brief is exactly what the letter was but nothing stating and appealing the decision. In fact I had my sf-15 (veteran pref form) and dd214 at the interview as this is what I was directed to do and they said they wouldn't be taking it yet. So I know vet pref was not properly used. I will look up the appeal process you are talking about. I briefly looked and found nothing prior to posting here

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">