• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled / access to handicapped spots blocked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smkat

What is the name of your state? CO
I'm asking this for a coworker... I hope you can help her!

My coworker is disabled and in a wheelchair. Needless to say, she has a handicapped placard, and really needs it. A couple weeks ago reconstruction was started on our parking lot here at work.

Let me explain a little bit the way it's set up here. There is a main parking lot (under reconstruction), and a smaller parking lot off of it where the handicapped parking is. The handicapped parking lot is not torn up, but access is completely blocked because of construction in the other parking lot. There is another parking lot to the side of the main one, but it fills up quickly and is very difficult to manuever a wheelchair through to get to our building. The only other parking is across the street and down about a half mile... there is a slopped incline of about 8 feet as well, covered in loose rocks, completely impossible to take a wheelchair through.

My friend was told that she would have to come to work everyday and try to find a spot in the side parking lot. So far of the past couple weeks she's only been able to find a spot twice. She's used up all her vacation and sick time because she hasn't been able to get to work, and now she's being told she'll be written up if she doesn't come in to work.

This doesn't sound right to me. She's disabled and it's not like she's staying home from work on a whim... she's actively trying to get in to work, but her access has been cut off. She hates to "cause waves", but she really is feeling discriminated against right now. Is there anything she can do about this, or can they block access to the handicapped spots and then penalize someone who needs it?

ecmst12

Seems to me that designating a couple of spots in the side lot for handicapped parking during the construction would be a reasonable accomodation that they're not providing....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">