• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled and fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rikkstrat

I fell on the job in 99 and permantley ruined my back. Stll on workers comp and they fired me and would not give me a reason. Told me they didnt have anything i could do. I went to eeoc and filed disc compaint in November. They have never called me. Wont return my calls. I am 100% sure that i have been discrim. due to my disability. I can prove it. Why wont the government work for me? How can my ex employer get away with this? The eeoc never even sent me my "right to sue" letter. What could be happening? Filed in Georgia.

Beth3

I don't know that anyone can tell you what's going on with your complaint with the EEOC. All I can share is that they have thousands upon thousands of complaints to process (some legit, some bogus) and they have quite a backlog.

Whether you have a case or not depends upon the nature of your injuries and the type of work available where you worked. If you had a permanent injury that made it impossible for you to perform any work your employer had available for which you were qualified, they may not have violated any laws by terminating your employment.

I do think you should consult with a Worker's Comp/employment law attorney asap. You may have a claim for retalliatory discharge under your State's worker's comp statutes. Get a leg on though - there are statutes of limitations that apply, which you may already have exceeded.

the eeoc took about 17 weeks to get an answer. what they told me was if your job cannot be modified so you may do your job your employer does not have to create or place you into another position. to fire or dismiss someone on comp is not unusual(they are having a hard time doing that to me because of my contract). they also said it might not be right nor good mangagement but it was legal. as long as you are recieiving comp they are taking care of you(in the eyes of the system)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">