• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaeyreed

We live in California. My 16 year old daughter is a hostess at our local Denny's restaraunt. She went to work recently and found that she was the only one not scheduled to work during the next two weeks. She asked her boss and he told here that things were slow. When she asked why everyone else was scheduled he replied that not only could the others host but they could also serve. She asked him to make her a server. He told her that because of a previous back surgery, which was not the result of any injury, she would never be made a server in his restaraunt. He told her that she was a liability and that she would probably never be able to get a good job because of her back. He said they only way he would even consider it would be with a note from her doctor and that probably not even then would he make her a server. Is this discrimination against her because of her physical condition. Her doctor has put no restrictions on her whatsoever. Can she expect this type of treatment for the rest of her life. Does she legally have to tell her employers about her back? Please let me know, she was extremely upset by the things he told her. Thank you in advance for your help and time.

HomeGuru

kaeyreed said:
We live in California. My 16 year old daughter is a hostess at our local Denny's restaraunt. She went to work recently and found that she was the only one not scheduled to work during the next two weeks. She asked her boss and he told here that things were slow. When she asked why everyone else was scheduled he replied that not only could the others host but they could also serve. She asked him to make her a server. He told her that because of a previous back surgery, which was not the result of any injury, she would never be made a server in his restaraunt. He told her that she was a liability and that she would probably never be able to get a good job because of her back. He said they only way he would even consider it would be with a note from her doctor and that probably not even then would he make her a server. Is this discrimination against her because of her physical condition. Her doctor has put no restrictions on her whatsoever. Can she expect this type of treatment for the rest of her life. Does she legally have to tell her employers about her back? Please let me know, she was extremely upset by the things he told her. Thank you in advance for your help and time.

**A: have her bring in the doctor's note and see if she gets assigned a server position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">