• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

francois

What is the name of your state? I live in New York. I have a question that might seem funny to some people, but it's really not funny to me. Back in 1995 I acquired a felony. it was a VERY bad time in my life and I have been in recovery ever since and have held two jobs - the current one where I am a good worker and I get great reviews, pay raise, etc. However, I have run across a couple of times where I feel I was discriminated against. Not because of sex, race or anything but because of that felony eight years ago! People do change. Not everybody who messes up or does time or had an addiction resort back to their old lifestyles! For instance, when I interviewed for a position at AT & T they did not say you had to have sales experience, otherwise I would have never applied. Anyway, I was at my old job (2 yrs ago) and I took time off from work twice (for two hrs) to go and take their tests. Aptitude, data entry and typing. I passed with flying colors and then went to the interview. The woman who interviewed me took me and two other people on a tour of where we would be working, how much we would be making-including commissions, our duties, health benefits and bonuses and I even sat with someone and watched them do the job for about an hour or a half hr. I really thought I had the job. Then I went to the interview and it was real short. She said I need sales experience. To make a long story short-I was disappointed and I let this lady know. Not in a bad way, I was polite even though she seemed condescending. I wonder if she really was on a conference call when I was waiting to be interviewed. I waited a good two hrs for the interview! She was late for the interview almost two hrs!! I felt cheated. I called and complained to the headquarters and told them they should put in their ad that people who are interested should have sales experience. Just recently I saw an ad in the paper and it mentions nothing of sales experience! Even though they told me they were going to change it. Has anybody else been discriminated in this way?

Son of Slam

francois said:
What is the name of your state? I live in New York. I have a question that might seem funny to some people, but it's really not funny to me. Back in 1995 I acquired a felony. it was a VERY bad time in my life and I have been in recovery ever since and have held two jobs - the current one where I am a good worker and I get great reviews, pay raise, etc. However, I have run across a couple of times where I feel I was discriminated against. Not because of sex, race or anything but because of that felony eight years ago! People do change. Not everybody who messes up or does time or had an addiction resort back to their old lifestyles! For instance, when I interviewed for a position at AT & T they did not say you had to have sales experience, otherwise I would have never applied. Anyway, I was at my old job (2 yrs ago) and I took time off from work twice (for two hrs) to go and take their tests. Aptitude, data entry and typing. I passed with flying colors and then went to the interview. The woman who interviewed me took me and two other people on a tour of where we would be working, how much we would be making-including commissions, our duties, health benefits and bonuses and I even sat with someone and watched them do the job for about an hour or a half hr. I really thought I had the job. Then I went to the interview and it was real short. She said I need sales experience. To make a long story short-I was disappointed and I let this lady know. Not in a bad way, I was polite even though she seemed condescending. I wonder if she really was on a conference call when I was waiting to be interviewed. I waited a good two hrs for the interview! She was late for the interview almost two hrs!! I felt cheated. I called and complained to the headquarters and told them they should put in their ad that people who are interested should have sales experience. Just recently I saw an ad in the paper and it mentions nothing of sales experience! Even though they told me they were going to change it. Has anybody else been discriminated in this way?
Has anybody else been discriminated in this way?
You bet. When a job is applyed for and the employer hires the person he feels may best fill the job needs, all the rest of the applicants are discriminated against.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">