• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hef61

What is the name of your state? va my husband was laid off a month ago without warning. he is 61 and been at company 13 years. the company is run by a foreign person who brings a lot of his nationality here. they kept 3 of these people who have not been there that long and 2 without citizenship yet. most people who are on layoff never go back. he's having hard time finding a job and not for pay he's used to. he was oldest to go on layoff and he knew job better than others, he in fact, trained or helped train them. does he have a case for discrimination. we may lose everything.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just because he was laid off at the age of 61 does not automatically give him a case for discrimination. He has to be prepared to show that the REASON he was laid off is his age and that he would not have been laid off if he were younger. Can he do that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The same answer applies. The burden will be on him to show that "but for" his race, he would have kept his job.

He can contact the EEOC or the state discrimination board if he feels this to be the case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">