• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

choopes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Al.
I work in the public sector. State govt.
If 3 people working together have the same job title, it the same facility, often sharing tasks and doing each others jobs in emergencies, or when called upon, is it discrimination to require one employee to have a different set of skills, that the other 2 do not possess? This is new technology. It took several years to discover any weakness in this area. Now, a poor performance review results from this. I feel I am being singled out for a higher standard then the other 2 coworker, who have both been at this job longer then me. The untimate goal is to prove lack of job skills to terminate, or to force me to quit. Is this defendable? What are my possable recourses?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Al.
I work in the public sector. State govt.
If 3 people working together have the same job title, it the same facility, often sharing tasks and doing each others jobs in emergencies, or when called upon, is it discrimination to require one employee to have a different set of skills, that the other 2 do not possess? This is new technology. It took several years to discover any weakness in this area. Now, a poor performance review results from this. I feel I am being singled out for a higher standard then the other 2 coworker, who have both been at this job longer then me. The untimate goal is to prove lack of job skills to terminate, or to force me to quit. Is this defendable? What are my possable recourses?
This is not illegal discrimination.

tranquility

Learn the new set of skills?

I mean really, why would you not want to become more employable? If they need the skill and you're the guy who has or will have it, what's the problem?

But, if you think the only reason is to eventually fire you, unless you are covered by a bargaining agreement or the discrimination is for a prohibited reason (race, sex, religion etc.)--they can fire you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Strictly on the basis of what you have posted, no, this is not illegal discrimination.

If there were a valid and supportable reason to believe that you are being singled out BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law, that would be different. But nothing you have posted suggests that to be the case.

choopes

I have learned the technology. My degree of proficiency at it, is in question by my boss. This is an example of no metered, no measurable quality of work that basically boils down to one person’s opinion. I’ve never had problems with this in the past. Then I noticed the other folks who do the same job as me, don’t have strong command of these skills either. This is what inspired my question. So unfair bias is unfair, but not illegal unless it pigeon holes into one of the above mentioned categories. I can clearly see the appeal of union representation now.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Fair" is subjective. The law does not require fair. The law requires legal. On the basis of what you have posted, this is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">