• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this discrimination???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JCVD123

A few months ago, I started working for an unnamed fortune 500 company. While I was in training, I also had a manager that was in training with me. This manager was to be my actual manager after training. In the first week of training, he told me that the reason they hired me is because I was native american from this certain reservation. He then explained to me that a few years ago they had an employee from my reservation that got fired, and the fired employees relative that was on the tribal council told them that they could never do work on the reservation again. Now that there was a new council, they decided to hire me. He told me this information in private and in front of another trainee on a separate occasion. A few weeks after completing training, my managers boss asked me to go through the steps to get a tero license to do work on the reservation. After sending him the application I didn't hear from him about it for a couple of weeks. When he finally got back to me, he said that upper management and the law team did not want to deal with the council and the tribal court if something happened down the line, so they did not complete the application. My question is, do I have a strong enough case against a fortune 500 company to file a suit against them?? If I do, can they legally terminate me for filing the suit?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
A few months ago, I started working for an unnamed fortune 500 company. While I was in training, I also had a manager that was in training with me. This manager was to be my actual manager after training. In the first week of training, he told me that the reason they hired me is because I was native american from this certain reservation. He then explained to me that a few years ago they had an employee from my reservation that got fired, and the fired employees relative that was on the tribal council told them that they could never do work on the reservation again. Now that there was a new council, they decided to hire me. He told me this information in private and in front of another trainee on a separate occasion. A few weeks after completing training, my managers boss asked me to go through the steps to get a tero license to do work on the reservation. After sending him the application I didn't hear from him about it for a couple of weeks. When he finally got back to me, he said that upper management and the law team did not want to deal with the council and the tribal court if something happened down the line, so they did not complete the application. My question is, do I have a strong enough case against a fortune 500 company to file a suit against them?? If I do, can they legally terminate me for filing the suit?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Why do you believe you have any chance at pursuing a legitimate lawsuit against this company?

OHRoadwarrior

Ummm, not to be Capt. Obvious, however giving you special treatment because you are an AI, is not discrimination toward you. Them deciding not to proceed with a plan using your status is not discrimination toward you either. It could be inferred they were discriminating against the tribe doing business possibly. As the issue is the tribe being difficult that would not hold water either.

Proserpina

I'm not trying to be picky but yes, this may be a form of discrimination.

However it's not a form of illegal discrimination.

:)

JCVD123

Ummm, not to be Capt. Obvious, however giving you special treatment because you are an AI, is not discrimination toward you. Them deciding not to proceed with a plan using your status is not discrimination toward you either. It could be inferred they were discriminating against the tribe doing business possibly. As the issue is the tribe being difficult that would not hold water either.

I do believe they are discriminating against the specific reservation that I am from. They have me work on another reservation about 100 miles away, but they will not allow me to do work on the reservation that I am from. That is why I am confused with the whole situation.

OHRoadwarrior

I do believe they are discriminating against the specific reservation that I am from. They have me work on another reservation about 100 miles away, but they will not allow me to do work on the reservation that I am from. That is why I am confused with the whole situation.
The law does not require your employer allow you to work where you wish to. In fact, it could be they deem friendly ties to be detrimental to the goals of their business.

JCVD123

The law does not require your employer allow you to work where you wish to. In fact, it could be they deem friendly ties to be detrimental to the goals of their business.
It is not about working where I wish to work. I work in a 150 radius of where I am from, so I work where they want me to work. But with all of the information I received, I believe I have the answer I was looking for. Thank you all

sandyclaus

It's not that they won't allow you to do work on your home reservation, it's because they (the company) CAN'T work there:

...a few years ago they had an employee from my reservation that got fired, and the fired employees relative that was on the tribal council told them that they could never do work on the reservation again...
It appears that the company withdrew your TERO license application because they realized that just having you on their payroll wouldn't necessarily reverse the tribal council's decision not to allow your company's employees to work on the reservation again.

While your hiring was probably specific so that they could try to get work on your reservation again, they admitted that they realized their plan might fail, and they didn't want to deal with the fallout should it come down to another challenge by the tribal council.

There's no lawsuit here.

davew128

Ummm, not to be Capt. Obvious, however giving you special treatment because you are an AI, is not discrimination toward you.
I believe it was Captain Picard who helped define the rights of AIs when Commander Data was scheduled to be treated as property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">