• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ffej

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I work as an architect for a large public agency in NYC. I have been there 22 years. Recently, my division has gone a significant hiring binge. Many of the hirings have been in the same title that I am serving in, except that they are providing a higher level and salary within my title for these new positions.

Over the last 9 months or so, I have applied for 12 of these positions. Of those 12, I was interviewed for six. Of those, I received rejection letters for all of them. One of the positions I interviewed for was to conduct needs assessment analysis for the thousands of buildings we own. I am quite knowledgeable on needs assessments, as I have, since ten years ago, have overseen consulting engineers and architects to produce needs reports that we use to develop our capital plan.

I was called for an interview in this new needs assessment section, and I really thought I was a perfect match for the job. Unfortunately, I was turned down. The vacancy announcement stated that there are 6 positions available for this new needs assessment section that was recently created. So far, they have hired one person, who was an employee of a consultant we have a large construction contract with.

Shortly after I was turned down for this new needs assessment position, I was given a large needs assessment task, one that really appeared to be work that the new needs assessment section should be performing. I certainly started to do the work and continued until I completed it. But, after I was given this new assignment, I wrote an email to my supervisors and a few others who I believe should be copied, that given the timing and type of assignment that was handed to me, it appears that I was given this new higher-paying needs assessment position, but without the actual higher level and salary. I also explained, in detail, how my qualifications do match or exceed those required of the new position. My department director did not like this, and called me into a meeting with four other supervisors to tell me that what I wrote is not true and that I have no right to complain.

Shortly after that, we all received new nameplates on our outside cubicle walls. Mine says "Standard and Needs Assessment Analyst." I don't know who made this up, but this is another indication that I have been given the job without the higher salary. And yes, I am still doing more needs assessment work.

Over the last few months, about 15 people have been hired in my civil service title (for various positions, many of which I have also interviewed for), but have been given higher salaries. I had to pass a civil service exam to obtain my current title. The last exam was about 8 years ago. I'm pretty sure that none of the new hires have taken and passed this exam that I have had to pass to get the title.

When I look at the names of all of these people who have been hired in my title for higher salaries, all but possibly one are foreign-born, and most of them are from the same country.

I filed a complaint with our equal opportunity office, and was recently interviewed. I made the claim of discrimination of national origin, as none, or hardly any American-born people are being hired. I provided them as much evidence as I can (e.g. names of hired people in my title, dates I applied for and interviewed for all positions, copies of rejection letters, emails to management about given the work and not the title, my resume, and a copy of the result of an out-of-title grievance I won back in 2006, in which it was determined that I was performing, for two years, at a higher level in my title. I only received some inadequate back-pay, and was not given the higher level permanently. This should also indicate that I'm qualified for the higher level in my title).

So, my question is, does this sound like discrimination, or do I have any recourse in anything in claiming that I am actually doing the job of the higher level without receiving the higher pay?

Thank you for any advice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is nothing in your post that says clearly that there is illegal discrimination taking place. There is nothing in your post that says clearly that there is not illegal discrimination taking place.

Your EEO office has far more information available to them than we do. There's nothing we can do to overturn their decision.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Not legal advice, but job search advice: Have someone look over your resume, and if possible, ask for feedback from those on the interview panel. It's been my experience as someone who has reviewed numerous resumes and sat on countless interview panels, that those already in the organization who are looking for a promotion are the ones who are laziest about their resumes. They fail to update them, are filled with typos, and they approach interviews with a "I got this" attitude.

If they know you and your work and still aren't promoting you, then, well, it's you. If you're certain that your work is above reproach, then how are you to work with? Are you argumentative? Inflexible? Hard to get along with? Or are you interviewing poorly? There's something that's holding you back, and I don't think it has anything to do with EEO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">